New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

HELP!! 1996 Saturn SC2

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Default HELP!! 1996 Saturn SC2

Hi guys! First post here and sorry if this isn’t posted in the right place, I’m still learning!

So on Sunday I’m thinking about POSSIBLY purchasing my first Saturn. I’ve owned a Buick Century in the past (which I absolutely ADORED, still sad that I sold it lol), and currently am driving a Honda. I’m looking to buy this Saturn for a daily driver.

Im looking to get opinions as to if I should actually purchase this vehicle or not though. Here’s what I know about it so far:
-it’s listed for $250
-needs a head gasket, radiator, and a timing cover (which I’ve heard the head gasket is common to go on these, I could be wrong though)
-it has around 215,000 miles
-it’s been sitting for a year
-has a new water pump, struts, and tires
-body seems to be in fair condition, considering.

i figured for $250 I can’t go too wrong, especially considering I’ve heard good things about these cars lasting a long time if well taken care of, and me and my boyfriend and his family are all mechanically inclined, so we could do the repairs ourselves.

Is is there any other information I should get from the seller for you guys? Is this a smart choice? And is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance!
:-)

Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Hell yeah. If the rest of the car is in decent shape, then I'd definitely spend the $250 on it based on what you posted. You can probably get the timing cover at a salvage yard. The radiator and head gasket need to be purchased new, of course.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Why does it need a timing cover?

If it was taken off, there's really only one reason why, which is to replace the timing chain. S cars will break timing chains if you run them out of oil.

I can't remember if the timing cover has to come off to do the had gssket....

My point is that you have no idea what condition the internals of the engine are in. You can't check compression b c of head gasket. You can't run the car w no timing cover.. You don't know if the brakes work.

Hell you don't even know if the engine rotates. Put a breaker bat and socket on the crank bolt and with the plugs out try to spin the engine by hand