Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/hello-9166/)

shift88 01-05-2014 12:36 AM

Hello

I currently own a 2001 L200, which I got July, 1, 2013 for $4000 at a local VW dealer. This was actually the car I was looking for and I happen to find one locally. I had owned a 1993 SL1 back in the early 2000s, and it was the best car I have ever owned. Hopefully this one will exceed my expectations.
First thing I did when I got my L was sell my useless iMac and buy some wheels and tires. I also put a black dual layered aluminum wing on. I put new 3 way speakers in and a JVC double din headunit along with my trusted Rockford Fosgate amp and 12" woofer. I took out the factory airbox and installed a Weapon-R Dragon intake. I changed the spark plugs to Denso Iridium power ones. I also put in a Spec-D Voltage Stabilizer. I just got a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler with a Red Tail tip installed. I bought a Powerstop brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors that I should have installed this week. I want to install them myself but the weather is cold and there is snow everywhere, so I'll probably have my garage do it along with an oil change.
There are some other things I'd like to do, like tint the windows and get dual 12" woofers going on. It's sort of a pipe dream but I'd really like to either turbo charge or super charge my car. I'm looking into getting a heavy duty performance transmission once I save up enough.
I'm going for a stealthy look.My car is a dark maroon color and I painted the side trim flat black. the wheels are black, I'll be replacing the side mirrors, door handles and fuel door with black components when the parts come in.
Overall, I've had more fun with this car than any other, the old SL1 comes in at a very close second.

sw2cam 01-05-2014 08:35 AM

Hello and welcome to our forum, add a picture or two in this thread. Open the USER CP and add your first name, location, along with car to your "signature"

Rubehayseed 01-05-2014 08:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you really love your Saturn. And it sounds like with the stereo upgrades and wanting dark tint, that you probably like law enforcement officers too!

shift88 01-05-2014 12:41 PM

Thanks for welcoming me. Rubehayseed, the police seem to be really relaxed here when it comes to auto mods. There are alot of cars with super dark tint that never get pulled over. I'm not planning on real dark, 35% is what I want.

Rubehayseed 01-05-2014 01:44 PM

Good to know, Adam. I see the police around here pull over a LOT of cars with dark tint. Of course, where I live is very rural and most of the time they associate the dark tint with dope of some kind, and most of the time, they're right. Unfortunately. Nothing for the young generation to do here, so a lot of them start fooling with some kind of dope. Meth seems to be the most popular one. Just last year alone, they busted more than 1,000 meth labs in this county.

shift88 01-06-2014 07:31 AM

This is the town where PSU is located. Drinking is real big here, as I assume it is in most college towns. I think police are more concerned with that than someone's car.

RjION 01-10-2014 08:57 PM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum

uncljohn 01-11-2014 07:40 AM

Welcome from here too where dark tint is more the norm than not. I even see local constables with it. But it is a state law as to how it is determined. In Arizona the only window that is not controlled is the windshield. In California the front door windows can not be more than 35% and they will stop cars. The rear window can be done only if you have dual outside mirrors.
And tinted windows save interiors from being torn up in the sun. My Saturn is actually my Ladies car and she had eye problems and did not have the windows tinted. She has been unable to drive it now for about 5 years and 2 years ago I had to have it reupholstered due to sun damage on the seats. I had the windows tinted at the same time.
Now I have to repaint it again.

RjION 01-11-2014 09:29 AM

Az says as dark as you like rear windscreen, rear side glass, 33% front side glass, non reflective tint above the AS-1 line for the front windscreen. Tint at any location can not be more "reflective" than 35%. The AS-1 varys from car to car. In most cases it's no more than six inches ....... All in info is easy to find by typing tint laws state in your search engine.

We are all waiting for pictures of your Saturn to this thread......we like pictures.

uncljohn 01-12-2014 06:22 AM

You don't want to see pictures of it now. Due to a procedural problem the clear coat peeled off about 2 to 3 years after I repainted it the last time.
While at least in my area Tinted Windows are about as common to see as wheels are due to the bright sun that brings so many people to this fair area of the world I would swear I have seen PD cruisers with limo-tint all the way around.