Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/)
-   -   Arriving from Saturnfans (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/new-member-area-9/arriving-saturnfans-12940/)

lanxer57 01-13-2024 11:00 PM

Arriving from Saturnfans

It has only been a few days since I have been unable to access Saturnfans.com, but when my car is inoperable, my sister has nothing to drive. (it was a mistake to agree to share, I rarely see it) It is operational at the moment, but you can never be too prepared.

My car is a 1999 SC1, with the "third door" flap. It was originally grey, but the hood, and bumper cover are now blue after a minor accident. It is now on its third automatic transmission in 2 years. Very fun to drive compared to my parents modern SUVs.

derf 01-14-2024 06:52 AM

Welcome.

Do you have a question?

Rubehayseed 01-14-2024 08:40 AM

The transmission lines and cooler need to be flushed when replacing the transmission. And if you're using the old torque converter, DON'T. It's probably full of crud and debris and you need to put a NEW one in when you replace the transmission again.

grcauto8453 01-14-2024 03:03 PM

What is the current problem? Tranny again? As noted above the swapper needs to do the flush. TC can be flushed but a replacement is best.

lanxer57 01-14-2024 05:18 PM

I did need to replace the torque converter at some point, because it failed, but how would it get full of crud?

lanxer57 01-14-2024 05:23 PM

There does appear to be a current problem with the tranny, the last time I drove it, it was slamming between what I assume are 1st and 2nd when pulling away from traffic lights. I will need to look at that when I address the loose steering shaft. It is loose on the steering gear where it slides over it just after the last U-joint, causing excessive play in the steering.

Rubehayseed 01-15-2024 08:29 AM

The torque converter pulls the fluid through the transmission. The fluid is sucked into it and it spins and makes pressure that helps push the fluid through the valve body and change the gears. You should really do the research on your own. I'm trying to simplify it, but I don't always come across clearly. I'm brain damaged.

lanxer57 01-15-2024 02:01 PM

I always thought it was the transmission oil pump that built pressure, but I guess the torque converter probably does have something to do with it...

grcauto8453 01-15-2024 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by lanxer57 (Post 71906)
I always thought it was the transmission oil pump that built pressure, but I guess the torque converter probably does have something to do with it...

The fluid pressure is developed by the pump. A weak pump will cause problems even with a great TC. The fluid system is a closed system that performs the shifts. The TC develops internal pressures that are not part of the closed system that does the shifting. If the accumulators, clutches and such were to be subject to the radical pressures and changes within the TC the tranny would not last long.

Rubehayseed 01-16-2024 07:50 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Gary. That makes sense.