Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

SW2 exhaust replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 AM

Are there really differences in the SC versus SW exhaust systems? OR, is it just the parts books just wanting to separate the parts so they can charge more. Have looked under a couple of ''91 - ''99 SW and SC cars and didn''t notice any real differences, placement and routing seem to be the same, body dimensions are the same, so why do they want so much more for SW2 exhaust parts??? Saw rust shells peeling away from the tailpipe and muffler, it has to be replaced soon. Only the local NAPA dealer has parts listings, do we trust eBay stores? The local Midas dealer turned me away, he didn''t want the job. Mine is a very early ''97, made in Sep ''96.
Edited by: AztecDan

Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AztecDan
Are there really differences in the SC versus SW exhaust systems? ...(snip)...The local Midas dealer turned me away, he didn''''t want the job. Mine is a very early ''''97, made in Sep ''''96.

As hard as the Midas Corporation advertizes for business via radio, TV and newspapers, one would think they were on the street corner waving you into their shops. Personally however, I prefer to do business with ''the little guy'', especially if I need anything of a custom or specialized nature.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM

1991-1996 Coupes have a shorter wheel base, so piping is a different length. But as for exhaust components (muffler, catalytic converter, and resonator (DOHC''s)) the parts are all the same.

Any aftermarket direct fit muffler will be fine for your car. Doesnt have to be Saturn specific. Just something with roughly the same dimensions with an offset inlet and center outlet the same diameter as the stock piping. But any exhaust shop would know that.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM

OK, that explains most of it, There are a couple of independent shops in area, they may take the job. Staying away from Walker shops, put Walker system on the wife''s Taurus 3 years ago, it needs replacing again. Have a HTS cat back system from MAC on the Mustang, 9 years old, shows a bit of rust around weld joints, so tubing/coating/treatment used makes a big difference. Now have piece of broken valve bouncing around inside downpipe in front of cat, so unless I can get it out, may have to replace cat as well. Hopefully I can get this car on the road again by spring. Darn east coast salt, you could wrap your ride in rubber and the road salt would still get to it!

Old 11-01-2021, 11:32 AM

You could do what I did I have a 01 sw2 exhaust is stock till right at rear axle it steps up to 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 goes over rear axle into a 22" long 3" baffle truck tip no muffler isn't loud nice deep mellow tone now if you step into it it will let you know it's there but normal driving it's perfect

Old 11-01-2021, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder after 12 years if he still has the vehicle..,

Could you actually take a recording video or otherwise of your exhaust with somebody revving the engine? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks

Old 11-02-2021, 11:33 AM

Yea derf I can do that I'll take 3 videos 1 of normal driving from inside car one of wide open in car and a rev video for you it sounds really good to me from cat back is straight pipe no resonator or muffler just a 22inch long baffle tip

Old 11-02-2021, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Please be sure to include recordings from outside the car so that we can hear what it sounds like to others.

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:46 AM

Ok I can make it happen it sounds good not all raspy and sound like a bag full of rice has more of a deeper tone in lower rpms then as they get past 2500ish the pitch goes up a little

Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 AM

Quick Reply: SW2 exhaust replacement