Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-17/)
-   -   1994 sc1 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-17/1994-sc1-796/)

camer 02-03-2007 01:55 PM

i was looking at a header for my saturn and i was wondering does it really do anything preformance wise to my car. i mean it is only 85 hp to the crank as is i was wondering if it would make a noticable improvment?

-camer

S-Turn 02-03-2007 06:51 PM

Sorry, no headers available for the 1.9 SOHC

saturn95sl2. 02-06-2007 01:08 PM

well, pacesetter has headers for the sl1 and sl2. and headers do give more airflow out of the block, so yes they do help. Especially if you have a full exhaust system. my header did make a noticable improvement, more torque and i could see quicker acceleration.Edited by: saturn95sl2.

S-Turn 02-06-2007 03:49 PM

You got any links to 'em? I can't find any sohc headers on the pacesetter web site

thanksEdited by: S-Turn

camer 02-06-2007 08:35 PM

http://www.andysautosport.com/saturn..._sc/performanc e/headers/pace_setter/

thats for the dohc engine. i dont know if those would work on the sohc engine but i think that they might work on the sohc engine. and theya re a really good price.

-camer

saturn95sl2. 02-07-2007 05:02 PM

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...viewCategories .asp?idCategory=5733

There are two headers on that site that are for both the sl and sc models.

S-Turn 02-07-2007 05:35 PM

cool! thanks for the links guys

-S-Turn-

saturn95sl2. 02-07-2007 11:08 PM

no prob.

but the website i like the most would def. be www.spswebpage.comEdited by: saturn95sl2.

wtmke1 06-14-2007 05:19 PM

hey man look on ebay.im sure theve got one.should be too hard to find.

boostinSC2 06-16-2007 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by saturn95sl2.
well, pacesetter has headers for the sl1 and sl2. and headers do give more airflow out of the block,

you mean more airflow out of the head right

anyway, for the money you will spend on the a sohc header, and exhaust, you can swap to a twin cam and gain 25 ponies right there, if you really want a sohc header, visit crazy chopsticks
it will be custom, pricey, but it will be the best craftsmanship and a one of a kind

sw2cam 06-16-2007 10:47 AM

Yes I'm sure he knows what he meant. A better flow rate out of the engine that would include the block where the pistons are located that suck the mixture in and push the spent out via the head. Edited by: sw2cam

jisnut 06-05-2008 09:12 AM

Well, I''ve found some OBX headers but I''m new to this so idk if they will work.

Low Saturn 06-05-2008 09:23 AM

A 1991-2002 SOHC header will work. If you can find one. Its not really worth it to try to mod a SOHC engine. More so if its a 1991-1994.

If you have a pick-n-pull in your area, you can get the needed parts for a SOHC to DOHC swap for the pirce of a good header and intake. And you''ll gain 39HP if you have a 1991-1994 SOHC or 24HP is you have a 1995-2002 SOHC.

kego 07-09-2010 12:12 AM

is there a thread for the swap? i just bought an sc1 race car and i'd actually like to win a race ;D

sw2cam 07-09-2010 08:37 AM

Swap what? Whats your question?

kego 07-09-2010 12:53 PM

to go from single cam to dual. is there a thread for the swap? also i think my ignition switch is dawing power while off so i've decided to put in a toggle switch. does anyone know of a link to the wiring diagram? or does someone just want to tell me which wires to connect to the toggle?

OceanArcher 07-09-2010 05:40 PM

Hmmmm .... usually, racing cars have a master kill/disconnect for the battery located near the battery box ......

kego 07-10-2010 01:32 PM

yea mine doesnt. its a racecar in the sense it has a roll cage and has been gutted. but it still has stock ignition key so yeaaaa.

kego 07-11-2010 06:22 PM

is there a swap thread 4 sohc to dohc

derf 07-12-2010 06:04 PM

saturnwiki.net --- not quite for what you want though

uncljohn 07-13-2010 10:09 AM

Just a personal comment on headers and exhaust systems. If you are trying to increase performance on a budget and considering and almost stock engine in terms of modifications and RPM capability and driven on the street.
Exhaust modifcations rate almost zero in my book as to doing anything except costing money.
And usually they are extremely expensive in comparrison to other things you can do.
'Specially with small engines, specifically the 2 L type 4 cylinder stuff.
But they look cool and sound terrific even if they do next to nothing.
But that is my opinion.

kego 07-14-2010 01:34 PM

okay i race at a track i have a 95 sc1 and i'm sick of getting beat out by cheaters. what can i do to bring me back to the front of the pack. mods are illeagal so it needs to be discreat. preferably cheap

uncljohn 07-14-2010 06:07 PM

A 95 SC1 is a single cam engine, built as an economy car and as I remember a bit on the heavy side. I have specifications, I'd have to look them up. I will if you want them.
There is a basic rule when it comes to drag racing. How fast you want to is a basic function of how much money you have to spend. You want cheap? Go slow! You think you are the only one who has the desire to go fast. Stand in line.
The car is heavy, down on power, and rpm limited. Not a good combination. Go fast parts are not available for it Cheap!
I did the exhaust thing on a small engine, drag strip times before and after exactly the same. Except it sounded nice. Dyno numbers say (in my opinion anyway) at best and under the right circumstances 5-10 hp if you are lucky. And most people arn't.
An exhaust system can run an easy 3-500 bucks.
Simplest thing requiring the most work and some money.
Put a cam in it it.
Do some injector work. Putting larger injectors in it will let it pass more fuel, the computor will try to back it off keeping fuel regulation correct but it can't but that is to your benefit because it will self regulate.
But you need the cam to make it work.
There are MMAP sensor adapters, to let the MMAP sensor run in a different curve.
It will deal with changing the timing to something more performance oriented. And will work with Early GM mmap sensors.
There is not a whole lot you can do, and have it be cheap. There is a lot you can do that will not do a whole lot and be expensive. In my opinion exhaust mods and the intake air filter thingy are two of them.
If you want to cheat and try to get away with it, NOS will work, also visible, and not cheat.
I dunno, try bracket racing. If you are good enough at it. You can win.
Stroker McGurk's basic racing rules
1. You can not beat cubic inches.
2. You can not beat cubic money.
Been there, done that, still am. Having fun.
I will stand corrected if some one can state it, I do not think there are computor chips for that computer

uncljohn 07-15-2010 08:01 AM

One more thought, again not overly expensive but a lot of work. A high stall torque converter if you are running an automatic. Something in the area 2200 rpm or so will give a slightly better launch and shorten the 60 second times. Much more you would be dealing with excessive transmission heat and problems with the lock up function. Can you go more? Yup, do you wanna? Your dime! You said cheap, fixing it ain't cheap.
About $150.00 or so to have one made in my area. Lots of work to get it in. It was good for better than a second when I did it.
On another small engine car.
But again, if you need more rpm to make it work to your advantage, a cam, some injectors and the torque converter, all invisible, all hard to check, and all stock untill proven otherwise and who is going to do the tear down.

uncljohn 07-15-2010 08:05 AM

And if you are runnng a stock exhaust and a stock intake, all probably adequate for the rpm and the size of the engine, who is going to be triggered to suspect it.