Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Window Tinting - Removal (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/window-tinting-removal-10481/)

Baldguy 02-27-2016 08:57 AM

Window Tinting - Removal

Here's a general question that really isn't Saturn related but hopefully someone on this forum has run across this in the past and can offer some suggestions.

When we bought our 2004 SL1 used in 2007, the previous owner had an aftermarket window tinting applied. Now this stuff is all bubbly and wavy on the back window.

Does anyone know how to or have a suggestion on how to get this stuff off without damaging the rear window heating elements.

goaliemo 02-27-2016 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Baldguy (Post 53520)
Here's a general question that really isn't Saturn related but hopefully someone on this forum has run across this in the past and can offer some suggestions.

When we bought our 2004 SL1 used in 2007, the previous owner had an aftermarket window tinting applied. Now this stuff is all bubbly and wavy on the back window.

Does anyone know how to or have a suggestion on how to get this stuff off without damaging the rear window heating elements.

Use a heat gun on low heat to the corners to make it start peeling. You can also spray it down with Windex and hold a garbage bag to it so it sticks, and let it bake in the heat and it should peel off.

Rubehayseed 02-27-2016 04:49 PM

If you have a window cleaner with ammonia in it, that works good. And use the trash bag, like was mentioned.

19bonestock88 04-21-2016 09:20 PM

There is a product sold in Wal-Mart, called Tint-Off, by the Black Magic brand, which works wonders for removing tint.., just spray it liberally at an edge and after a couple applications, you can slide a fingernail under the film, and begin slowly peeling, just remember to keep spraying the edge as you are peeling and it'll come off, no residue left behind...

Baldguy 04-24-2016 04:33 PM

I tackled the window tinting removal today. Had the car sitting with the back window facing the sun. After a couple of hours in the sun, the glue under the film was almost a liquid. The film peeled right off in two pieces. The glue left on the window was a little more troublesome. Windex seemed like it was working but that was going to take some time. Denatured alcohol though took all the glue off no problem. Followed with some Windex to clean up the final residue and you can't even tell that the window ever had tinting.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Rubehayseed 04-25-2016 06:53 AM

Well, gee Tom, it only took you about two months to do it. Congratulations! LOL

Baldguy 04-25-2016 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 54384)
Well, gee Tom, it only took you about two months to do it. Congratulations! LOL

Ouch! That hurt. Actually 2 months is quick for me. It took me 4 months to finish that engine rebuild. I just like to savor the job like a good wine.

Rubehayseed 04-26-2016 06:50 AM

Hahahaha! I'm just busting your chops, man. I'm president of the Procrastinators Club of the Universe.