Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Under Dash Noise?? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/under-dash-noise-10273/)

Airman68 09-21-2015 07:25 AM

Under Dash Noise??

I have the weirdest noise under my dash. When going from park or reverse into drive, about 5 seconds after going forward there is a noise under my dash. It seems to be behind the instrument cluster. I don't even know how to describe it bit it will even dim the headlights slightly when they are on. Any ideas? It never comes back while driving until you park and then go into drive again.

derf 09-21-2015 08:47 AM

Does it sound like a combined electrical and mechanical noise? Sounds like you are describing the ABS system self test which takes place after the car is moving 8 mph after having been in psrk. Is is perfectly normal.

Is this vehicle new to you?

Thanks for making your sig right away :)

Airman68 09-21-2015 09:46 AM

Yes, this is new to me. it does sound mechanical. I was just worried because of the lights dimming.

Airman68 09-21-2015 09:48 AM

I have had this for a few weeks. I think I'm going to end up selling this to my daughter. She's getting her liscense soon. How can I get the picture to show up in my post's?

derf 09-21-2015 02:09 PM

I've been driving Saturn S cars since 92 and all I can say is slight headlight dimmage for maybe a second tends to occur whenever there is a momentary large current draw somewhere else in he vehicle. In this case it is the ABS motors positioning the ABS pistons. Kinda like the dining room light dimming for a sec when the AC compressor kicks on outside at your house....the lights should not be going 1/2 strength for 3 seconds--if so, there is more at issue, but a slight dimming for the duration of that sound is not unusual.
If you hit "post reply", it should bring you to a response window in which you type your response. On the top row of little icons is a paper clip. Click on that and browse your PC to the picture. It will show up as a small attached thumbnail pic art the bottom of your post, which, when clicked on, will expand. You can attach multiple pics to a single post like this.

You can also click on the icon of the picture with a brown frame around it. It will prompt you for a web location of the pic. You can paste in photobucket link text and such. These pictures will show up inline with your text

If you log in to the home page and browse to your post, the response box will be there but the paperclip will not. Click "go advanced" to get to to the version of he response box that has all the icons you need.
________

Since this car is new to you, I would
1)change out the ECTS for a GM sourced brass tip replacement and connector
2) monitor oil consumption VERY closely until you know how much, if any, it burns. The easiest way to kill a Saturn is to run it low on oil.
3)Is SES light on? Go to Autozone or similar and get codes read for free. Post codes (Pxxxx, not the description) and we'll help you sort it out.

Many posts on the forum about ECTS and oil consumption
IF you have codes that's specific to your ride

In any event, please start a new thread in the S series sedan section and we'll be happy to help you sort things out.

Please stop by the new member area and introduce yourself -- many cool people around here.