Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Uh-oh.. Tranny? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/uh-oh-tranny-10183/)

SC1-4Banger 08-10-2015 04:21 AM

Uh-oh.. Tranny?

Today the vehicle started acting up...

While I was sitting in park, I noticed the Rpm's going up and down only by a little bit and then it stopped.

When I was driving, after hitting a 30 zone, I sped up, my transmissions either slipped or had a hard time going into 2nd. It knocked/hesitated.. I dont know, just felt like it was fighting. After it clicked into 2nd, everything was fine..

Until I slowed down at a red light, it started doing it in park, so I popped it in neutral and it went away...

I figured that it was the Fuel Additive I used to clean the Fuel Injectors... for 13.00 I figured it should be a damn good one... Anyway, it's been doing it once in a while, not often, but it happens a few times in a 20 min drive.

I flushed tranny, dark red, upon filling a clear jug you couldn't shine a flashlight through it... and it didnt smell burned, just dirty...

I looked for flake of metal, none.

Anyway, the change of fluid and filter seemed to help but didn't rid the problem...

any suggestions?

2002 SC1, 168k, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, recently changed Oil, ECTS, AIS (air intake), TPS, IAC, cleaned EGR.. New air filter, did my head gasket, new tension pulley, water pump, coolant and coolant flush...

derf 08-10-2015 09:34 PM

any codes?

SC1-4Banger 08-11-2015 01:11 AM

No man, no codes. Prior to that all happening a P0420 popped up, I switched 02 Sensors and it disappeared.

Rubehayseed 08-11-2015 07:55 AM

Sounds like the valve body solenoids need to be replaced. The taat4 transmissions are the weak link in these cars. You could just replace the valve body if you can find one with a warranty on it.

derf 08-11-2015 12:06 PM

Do you have a code reader or scanner. Usually need a scanner to read the transmission and BCM codes

I agree w Rube. Just sayin' there may be other tranny codes that would help you if there is anything additional going wrong w the tranny.

SC1-4Banger 08-11-2015 09:28 PM

Yes, I have the scanner. I'm gonna do some troubleshooting tonight. I'll let you guys know.. I gutted my coffee can catcon today, had more kick, but still shimmers/like it loses power ... even at speeds of 90km/h

I did notice that when I turn on the A/c it puts massive load on engine and at a stop the cars rpms consistently go up and down from 600-800.. never stay at one spot and on top of that it shimmys

derf 08-12-2015 03:20 AM

car has a bad harmonic near idle speeds, you will really feel this in the driver's seat if the upper torque axis mount is shot. Many posts on forum of how to check if it needs replacing. Always use new studs if you do replace.

Damn -- forgot those 3rd gens have a pre cat cat. There should still be a large one under the car, no? That's the one that I was thinking of.

Yes, the A/C saps a large amount of ummpfh. That's a fact.

But the rpms should not oscillate like that. Tap on the IAC with a screwdriver handle; if the idle changes in any way, replace the IAC. Do not buy from Autoblowz or Advanced -- unless you can get a quality brand. Otherwise, buy a higher quality part for less money at RockAuto.com -- or buy the identical decent part for significantly less at rockauto.

Are any of your pulleys screaming or bearings making noise on the items driven by the accessory belt? Is the a/c clutch possibly slipping?

Does it act this way only w the a/c on?

SC1-4Banger 08-12-2015 05:33 AM

The IAC works, I checked Resistance, tap test, etc;

A solenoid was mentioned earlier, to see if it's shot, does the connector on the Valve body give me any kind of clue whether or not it is the issue?

Re; A/c.

Not only when A/c is on, it just worsens the problem.
I noticed the A/c Pulley is hard to spin opposed to a while ago, I was checking the pulleys and the A/C as I recall spun freely and quite easily.

But it kicks a lot harder & frequently when I turn A/c on

Rubehayseed 08-12-2015 10:24 PM

Check for a vacuum leak. Sometimes, it's just that simple.

SC1-4Banger 08-13-2015 12:49 AM

Well, then I'd get a code spitting out at me.

No success, one thing i did notice was I heard a clicking sound, it is dark out. I located the source of the sound and I seen a spark at #1 plug. The spark was either travelling up or somehow!!! going through the boot. I pulled off the boot and the top of the spark plug just fell off... amazing... I wasn't even upset. Of course, I had some spark plugs but they were not the right kind.. Champon RS14YC opposed to RC14YC... I replaced, went to store and got a whole new set of coppers again.... Anyway, on my way home, it sounded better at least. The kicking and bucking at 50-60 km/h and at 80-90 km/hr & stopping at a red light... I have to put it in neutral. I did however manage to get my hands on some solenoids, possibly that something isn't right underneath the Buss plate... FFS when will this end? It's one after another and absolutely F*cking loathe people who do not put effort in maintenance for their vehicle. Neglect...