Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Transmission issues (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/transmission-issues-11103/)

ForrestGump 10-29-2017 06:12 PM

Transmission issues

I have a 2002 Saturn SL1 auto that has two main problems with the transmission. The first issue is the reverse slam which I'm sure has already been discussed but I do not know where that information is. The other issue is it occasionally slips into neutral while drive. Putting the gear selector into neutral and then back into drive fixes the issue but its an annoying problem. Can someone help me out?

derf 10-30-2017 04:21 AM

I'm not the local tranny expert, but slipping into neutral from drive may just mean the shift linkage needs to be adjusted.
No, I don't know how to check or do that, but I do have all the chilton manuals for the car and will be happy to look stuff up and post it. In doing so, we both learn something.
Or it could be something else
----------------------------
See this for 1st attempt at curing reverse slam
Reverse "Slam" Cure in Saturn Autotransaxles - SaturnFans.com Forums

Reverse slam proper repair will usually require
1) REPLACEMENT (not retorquing the old one---it came loose for a reason) of the tranny input shaft nut
2) Procurement and installation of a rebuilt valve body. Ask around here where to get one. Most people get them on e bay but not all sellers are trustworthy. I have only owned M/T s cars, therefore I cannot recommend a particular source

ForrestGump 10-30-2017 11:53 AM

Thank you I appreciate it and I will be be looking out for that post if you do end up finding anything

derf 10-31-2017 10:25 PM

Rube -- who did you get your rebuilt valve body from?
Jamnar?

Rubehayseed 11-01-2017 06:33 AM

I honestly don't remember, derf. It was a few years back and as you know if suffer from chronic CRS. IIRC, it was some seller off ebay with an above 99% seller rating.

ForrestGump 11-02-2017 01:28 PM

Should I be looking into getting a used valve body online or a junkyard?

Rubehayseed 11-03-2017 10:12 AM

You'll be better off trying to find one one ebay or amazon that's been rebuilt. Used or junkyard may be defective. You don't want to keep buying someone else's problems. Some of the cars at a junkyard may be there for the very reason that the transmission went out. And look at the sellers ratings and reputation before pulling the trigger on one off ebay, especially.

jamnar 11-07-2017 09:42 PM

I got my used valve body from a local Saturn owner. It's not perfect but there's been no more reverse slam.
As far as fixing the results of an untreated reverse slam: I think I took things into uncharted territory when I drove mine for months and thousands of miles with no reverse or second gear to the point that the loose clutch pack that's supposed to be held by that nut wore through the outer case of the transmission.
Check my posts to find the long thread on how I kept it going and eventually "fixed" it. I did not replace the input shaft nut but simply cleaned the parts thoroughly with acetone and used hard setting Red Lock-Tite.
It's been how long now? and it's still going strong.
Being short on cash but long on skills often results in me doing some things I probably shouldn't but maybe next time it breaks down I'll actually have the money to fix it the right way.