General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Transmission light

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM

I have an '01 Saturn-I guess it's an SL1, although the title just says "Saturn sedan". Anyway, it's got the 4-cyl and auto trans. It has 190,000 miles on it, and runs fine, but lately the transmission warning light has been coming on right when I first start to drive it (cold). After a couple of miles, it goes off and stays off. The fluid level is right where it should be, and I can't feel any slipping or hard shifts.

What do you think? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRosett

I have an '01 Saturn-I guess it's an SL1, although the title just says "Saturn sedan". Anyway, it's got the 4-cyl and auto trans. It has 190,000 miles on it, and runs fine, but lately the transmission warning light has been coming on right when I first start to drive it (cold). After a couple of miles, it goes off and stays off. The fluid level is right where it should be, and I can't feel any slipping or hard shifts.

What do you think? Thanks.

since my weak point is in diagnosis, i'll tell you my secret to get around this: i take it to a place that will give me a free estimate and a detailed explanation of what's wrong. i then tell them that i'm going to get a second opinion, leave, buy the parts they recommended at a parts store, change them myself and save on the labor costs. of course, there is a catch; it's possible that the place you take it to sucks just as bad at diagnosing a problem as i am.

i'd start with auto zone. they might be able to pick up a code for you if the plug in the obd-ii scan tool. they do this for free...

s3aturnr

Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM

AutoZone is what has been holding my cars together since I started driving (plus it helps that there's one a half mile from my house)

Aamco is supposed to be good with this kinda of problem

I believe PepBoys does a small diagnosis for free, but I'm not sure...

Local shops might be able to help as well...

Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 AM

What is your battery voltage? Measure it for me with the car off - and also with the car running. Use a quality digital volt ohm meter... The Saturns are pretty finniky with with power supplied to the auto trans. You could have a bad alternator/battery problem starting up.

Let me know.

Eric