Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Thumping sound, front end of my '06 Ion3 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/thumping-sound-front-end-my-06-ion3-9665/)

Rockin Ron 09-14-2014 10:28 PM

Thumping sound, front end of my '06 Ion3

Hello everyone, I guess I'm the new kid on the block having just registered...
Bought this car from a close friend who told me it makes this noise at (parking lot speeds), as in when you are barely moving. He took it to the dealer who told him "All the '06 Ion's make this thumping noise, and GM changed the front steering after this model year..." (It does appear to be steering related)
I haven't read any threads relating to this... Was my friend just told a story?
I had my own mechanic drive the car in his driveway, and he said its either in the steering rack itself or tie rod ends. The vehicle has 70,500 miles on it, but as my friend said, it has been doing it a long while. He himself hardly ever drove it as it was a gift to my sister. (long story)
Can anyone shed light on this problem?

goaliemo 09-15-2014 12:43 AM

First, before a mod gets to you, go to the new member section and properly introduce yourself. Also, go to the top User CP, edit signature on the left side, and put your name and car for future help.

Second, I haven't personally heard of this. I also believe a GM dealership would blow smoke up their *** to not have to do the work seeing as a lot of them look down on these cars. But, I believe the power steering is under recall for the 06/07 if not, a service bulletin. Someone can correct me if I am wrong though. Just something to look into.
I have an 06, and don't have an issue, so I really don't know why they would say all 06s do.

Rubehayseed 09-18-2014 07:18 PM

You sure it isn't just cupped tires?

RjION 09-18-2014 09:15 PM

Could very well be sway bar mount bushing and or sway bar end links, front sway bar. Raise the car follow the sway bar along till you find where it's mount to the chassis. Bushings popping out, are they falli g apart, are they all the way out, are they missing?

Get them from the dealer or from anyone that sells MOOG brand. All others are JUNK!

sw2cam 09-19-2014 06:01 PM

Well Mr. "RockinRon" do you have anything to say, anything what-so-ever?

goaliemo 09-20-2014 01:50 AM

wellllll, the mods are here.
I warned yuh.
tsk tsk.

uncljohn 09-22-2014 09:59 AM

While a lot of things can make a thumping sound of some kind or another, a better description would help in trying to identify what is going on with an obscure noise when you can not touch see or hear the car. '
In the long run, thumping noises I have experienced from the front of a front wheel drive car were generally related to a CV Joint going out, but even that does not make a universally identifiable noise except it tends to take place while turning.

RjION 09-22-2014 02:06 PM

It is very common with the ION sway bar bushings to go bad causing a thumping sound at slow speeds and slow turns.