General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Strong smell of gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:42 PM

Problem: when my car is running, I can always smell gas from exhaust. I talked to a mechanic and he said one of the possibility is one (or more) of the fuel injectors is always open. I have noticed fuel consumption is a little high. Is there anyway to check? or does anyone think it might be a different problem. Thanks to all who tries to help.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2005, 12:14 AM

If an injector is stuck open you should get a check engine light eventually. too rich code probably. What year engine type etc? Can you smell the fuel in the car or at the tip of the tail pipe? Is it a gas station fuel smell or a srong exhaust type smell?

Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 PM

I do get the check eng lite, it comes on periodically. It's a 1992 SL2-1.9 twin cam, automatic trans. It smells like it's coming from exhaust. Unfortunately I do not have a scan tool, so I can't find out what the code is.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 PM

The injectors in that motor are super easy to remove. I don't know how much they charge where you are, but the local injector rebuilder where I am charges $25.00 an injector to clean and service them. Depending on how many miles you have on the car, maybe it's time to pull tem and get them serviced anyway? Barring that, you need to get a scan tool, or a laptop configured for your OBDII port and see what the codes are. They are probably signalling fuel too rick, stuck injector, or O2 sensor malfunction or something to that effect.

Is there any severe mis-fire or shake to the engine? If so, put a compression tester on each cylinder and look for a valve problem. A broken exhaust valve / stuck lifter/ burned valve facewill cause a cylinder to not fire, causing the raw fuel from that cylinderto be exited through the exhaust system.

good luck!!! I had the same symptom and it was a broken valve. Maybe you will be luckier.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 PM

Nope, no misfire, no shake, engine runs great, that's why I have never bothered to scan the engine light.

Can you tell me where/how to check and service the injectors? Much appreciated.[img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2005, 04:46 AM

I think the next thing to do is get it scanned by agood tech. The codes may or may not tell you whats going on but the scan data will. They can monitor the o2 sensor and watch for a rich condition or a coolant temp way out of range. If the car seems to be runnin ok it may be your cat converter is on its way out. If it can't produce a chemical reaction to re burn the exhaust they can smell nasty. keep me posted.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:19 PM

I think you are right. I will try to get my car scanned this week. But the cat and the coolant temp sensor is new, so those are ruled out. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the reply though.