Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Still Hard To Start (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/still-hard-start-9444/)

Jaywizzy 03-22-2014 06:42 PM

Still Hard To Start

I have changed my extern, plugs and wires, cleaned the ground on the coil pack, full service, but yet my car still turns over and over before it will crank sometimes. I hook up my scan tool when my service engine soon light comes on, and my o2 sensor on bank one will fluxuate while the second one is pretty solid around .4v or so if I remember right. But I'm not sure if that could be it. My slave cylinder needs a replacing as well, not too sure if it is causing it either.

Jaywizzy 03-22-2014 06:43 PM

Ects* auto-correct lol

Rubehayseed 03-23-2014 07:40 AM

Get yourself a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure. It may be related.

Jaywizzy 03-23-2014 10:45 AM

Any idea what its should be around? Either psi or kpa. I'll grab one off the snap-on truck Tuesday, just in case my scan tool reading is inaccurate.

Rubehayseed 03-23-2014 02:50 PM

Guessing you have a throttle body and multi-port fuel injection, the Haynes manual says 26-31 psi. That's the fuel system pressure at idle. Fuel pump pressure, I'm guessing without the engine running is listed as 46-94 psi. I sure don't get that. That's a hell of a lot of variance.

derf 03-23-2014 07:15 PM

what code are you getting with the scanner?

Jaywizzy 03-23-2014 07:37 PM

Thanks Rubehayseed. That is definately a weird jump in the numbers. I do believe I have a fuel problem though. My car will read lean, then rich, constantly back and forth on my live data fuel pressure graph. Not sure if it's normal. I plan on uploading my data and sharing it for any input. The code I am recieving is P0133. 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 1. It is an intermittent issue though. Comes on and off. Maybe just a short or bad connection.

Rubehayseed 03-23-2014 10:14 PM

Check the connectors and wiring to the O2 sensors first. Sometimes one can get against a hot exhaust and short out. Hopefully, it won't take you long to check that out and correct the problem.

Jaywizzy 03-31-2014 08:28 PM

Update: The car not only is hard to start on occasion, but will sputter and almost die out sometimes. There is a significant drop in mpg the past month. From about 250 (getting on it a few times) from full to a quater, to about 150 to a quarter (a little more casual driving)
So I couldn't get the electronic fuel pressure gauge at the shop to work on my car. Me and one of the guys hooked it up to my fuel rail, where it goes down the line to the screw off cap and fitting, and got nothing. Turned the ignition over, zero, turned the engine on, zero. So, we have no clue what was wrong with the gauge. However, I hooked up my Solus Ultra scan tool and got a few numbers. If you would, could you check to see if they sound normal to you? I'm still learning how to use the Solus, so might have some better, more relevant figures soon. I couldn't find any numbers on the internet to go by.
Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio (At Idle): 14:2:1 (AllData Pro just says, Non-adjustable)
MAP Sensor: 8.5-9Hg
Air Flow: 2Hg
As far as fuel pressure, I am going to try an older style gauge tomorrow to try to get a reading. So far I'm leaning toward regulator, pump, or leaking injector. I think my injector on cylinder four may possibly be seeping some. There is a gas smell somewhere for sure. Cylinder 4 also misfires, swapping plugs tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. Going to do an FST (Fuel Induction Service) and new coil packs when I get the extra cash and see what it does. Hoping for a fix soon, trying to keep her running smooth until I do my rebuild.

Jaywizzy 03-31-2014 08:30 PM

Also, on the drive home, I will record my fuel trims, misfires, etc. I appreciate any advice! I am still learning, and very intrigued.