Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Snap on connections on transmission (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/snap-connections-transmission-10951/)

mickeyrory 05-02-2017 08:31 PM

Snap on connections on transmission

I am in the process of replacing my radiator on '98' Saturn. The connections from the transmission to the radiator have snap on connections at the transmission. I am at a loss as to how the hose is released from the .transmission. Is a special tool required? Appreciate any help as I am at a standstill until I can disconnect it. I had no luck removing one of the nuts on the radiator side and decided to cut the line so I could get the radiator back in.

derf 05-02-2017 09:36 PM

Moved to general tech help until you share model SCx, SLx SWx, etc -- will then be placed in appropriate category.

mickeyrory 05-02-2017 10:07 PM

snap on connections on transmission

It's an SL2 model.

Rubehayseed 05-03-2017 06:41 AM

Can you post a picture of it? Sometimes on lines that don't appear to have any type of clamp, you have a collar that you simply push in and then pull the line out while you have the collar pushed in. Some you have to use a quick disconnect type tool, like on a/c lines. Look at it closely and see if there's a plastic collar and try pushing it in and then pull on the line to get it out. If not, then I have NO idea. I don't have a Saturn anymore.

mickeyrory 05-03-2017 08:43 AM

Thanks! I think you are correct about the collar. I will give it a shot when weather permits and if need be I will get the correct tool.

derf 05-03-2017 09:06 AM

40 + years of keeping anything and everything running via "real time learning" has its benefits.

Just remember, Rube's not an ASE certified mechanic (he forgot to mention that;):p).
-----------------
Please post a picture. It will be informative for us all (including those that visit this thread in the future.)

Thanks

mickeyrory 05-03-2017 10:21 AM

I will post a photo when weather permits me to get out there again and if I'm capable of figuring out how to do that.

mickeyrory 05-03-2017 10:36 AM

snap on connections on transmission

1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully the photo is included Attachment 1402

mickeyrory 05-03-2017 05:18 PM

Another problem! I managed to remove the transmission cooling line but the connector came out with it. Does anyone know the technical name for the part that holds the cooling line in the transmission. Parts store couldn't find it.

02 LW300 05-03-2017 07:58 PM

It looks like the heater hose and fuel line connectors the General used back in the ninetys on many product lines. Obviously they used them on cooler lines also. They are an o-ring fitting with a plastic retainer. Unfortunately the plastic gets hard and brittle, they usually break upon disassembly. The fitting itself is some sort of pot metal, it seems to crumble when removed. The heater hose fittings on the pickup trucks often leak and crumble when replacing them. You need to push both sides to release the plastic clip from the fitting. The plastic part comes out with the line, you can replace the plastic part seperately.