Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Smell of fuel in 2008 Outlook (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/smell-fuel-2008-outlook-10963/)

hardwayone 05-15-2017 01:44 PM

Smell of fuel in 2008 Outlook

I've been searching the internet for several days now regarding the smell of gas in our Outlook. I seems it is intermittent. Help or suggestions are requested!

As a Mechanic, on a scale of 1 to 10 I am an 8. So please don't go off on tangents. I know it is something with fuel storage or supply. I have replaced the fuel cap and seem to think it might be something to do with vapor capturing system. I just need to know where those parts are located on the vehicle or what other possible problem it is.

Thanks!

02 LW300 05-15-2017 11:49 PM

Here's a copy of the Bulletin which does shows the 2011 models as being covered from my service manual. As mentioned you might have a cabin filter in place already. I also think it just covers the AWD vehicles because the cause is believed to be coming from the PTU. Not sure about any type of VIN cut off.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 10-01-37-002

Date: December 09, 2010

Subject: Gear Oil Type Odor in Interior of Vehicle (Install Cabin Filter into HVAC Module)
Models:
2008-2011 Buick Enclave
2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2011 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
Built Prior to October 11, 2010

Condition

Some customers may comment on a gear oil type odor in the interior of the vehicle. The odor may be coming in through the air vents when the HVAC system is in the non-recirculation mode and can be misdiagnosed as an HVAC concern. The condition is most noticeable when the vehicle is idling at operating temperature after an extended drive. The odor will typically dissipate when the HVAC system is placed in the recirculation mode.

Cause

This condition may be caused by PTU (transfer case) fluid odor being pulled into the vehicle through the HVAC air inlet due to the location of the PTU vent.

Correction

To eliminate the odor, install a cabin charcoal filter into the HVAC module using the following procedure.
2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,&nbsp; SOLD 4/2012 <br />2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease

hardwayone 05-16-2017 01:13 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.

It's not an oil type smell. It is definitely gas. It is much stronger toward the rear of the vehicle that is why I changed out the fuel cap. On one post someone mention something about a vapor capturing system but never said where any of the parts were on the vehicle. Of course someone also mentioned to pull the gas tank and check it. I'm not ready to do that.

derf 05-17-2017 02:58 AM

try looking up the factory parts diagram under emissions at one of the many Factory Authorized" online parts sites, like GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts .

It should at least give you an idea where the Evap Vent solenoid is. I'll go out on a limb and say that it can not close completely, so that when you're not pumping gas, it is still partially open.

Many times it is a pain in the ass b c it is mounted right above the opening of the gas tank.

Smoke test would likely save you a lot of grief. Would think it would have thrown a code for not maintaining pressure, but it doesn't take much gas to make a stink

Rubehayseed 05-17-2017 08:14 AM

I had a POS 2007 Chevy Equinox that I had terrible gas fumes coming into. Turns out that there was a recall for defective fuel pumps on these and several other GM built SUV's. You may want to do a search on the NHTSA website and see if your vehicle is listed. They had to replace the fuel pump in the Equinox. The website is nhtsa.gov You can type in your VIN and find out about the recalls on your Outlook.