General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Saturn SL1 wont engage and chimes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Hello,

This is my first post, and possibly the first time asking a question on a forum as I am usually the guy answering, but cars are not my forte. My Saturn SL1 was driving along seemingly fine and when I went to drive off from a red light (AT A BUSY INTERSECTION NO LESS) It rolled 4 feet and then just gave up. The car starts and runs fine and I can move the shifter around with perfect ease and no "sounds"

I would have assumed clutch issues, however I have had to replace the clutch before and it didn''t happen like this last time. It was gradual and was slipping for a few days last time and there were no audible signs, however this time it was very sudden on a VERY cold day and now when ever I depress the clutch, the car revs a little and goes "chime crazy" With all doors closed and seat-belts on, the chimes go crazy.

Any help in starting the trouble shooting will be greatly appreciated. Any questions I will answer ASAP!

Thank,

Tom

Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Does the check engine light come on?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Banned

Also, were you under hard acceleration when things quit on you ??

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Ignition switch?? Bad battery connection??

Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 AM

I have had a check engine light for a little while.

Related to Air intake or something. I could be wrong however as it has been a while since I plugged in the OBDII.

"Ignition switch?? Bad battery connection??"

The car starts and runs fine as stated in my post. The only strange part of this issue is that the car doesn''t engage, and it just sits there and chimes (ding ding ding) and the RPMs go up slightly (again, clutch) but I have never had the issue where it beeps and just poof! happens suddenly.

I may have also been accelerating slightly hard, but I wouldn''t say I was givvin her. Litterally the clutch was half way out.<! Signature >

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

The best thing to do, is to start the engine, put the car in gear, release the clutch, and watch the speedometer. If the speedo starts to show movement, you have probably busted an axle. If the speedo remains at zero, it is possible that the gear spline in the center of the clutch disk has spun loose from the disk.

As for the demented chime module, I would plug the OBDII in and take a check of the codes. List them here if you would, please ??

note: edited for comment and second thoughts

Edited by: OceanArcher

Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Banned

Just bumping back to the top after editing my previous posting ...