Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   replacement door key lock? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/replacement-door-key-lock-10290/)

ckoladawn 10-10-2015 03:20 PM

replacement door key lock?

I have a 97 sl2 that I traded off a few years ago. It switched owners at least 3 times and now I ended up with it again. This time it doesn't have keys to the door and the ignition switch has been torn out. Since I don't know who has owned the car the last few years and I'm unaware of who has the keys I would like to get a new key lock on the door. Can you buy those or am I going to have to get one at a junk yard? Can it even be replaced or will I have to replace the entire door?

Rubehayseed 10-10-2015 08:53 PM

They're replaceable. You MIGHT be able to get them at your local auto parts store, along with a new ignition switch to match. If not, a locksmith can rekey them to match your new ignition switch.

ckoladawn 10-10-2015 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 51767)
They're replaceable. You MIGHT be able to get them at your local auto parts store, along with a new ignition switch to match. If not, a locksmith can rekey them to match your new ignition switch.

Thank you. I will check with the parts store and locksmith first thing monday.

derf 10-11-2015 12:56 AM

If you are concerned about unauthorized access to the vehicle, whatever you do, do NOT vet keys cut from the GM dealer using the VIN. Those keys would match the door locks you have, which are of no current use in securing the vehicle if the original keys are out there somewhere.

Do not forget the trunk lock cylinder.

You also need to consider the fact that regardless of the lock cylinders, the rke fobs will still unlock the doors and the trunk. So unless you have them both, I'd reprogram them from the alarm system.

Oh, if the ignition is torn out that usually indicates the car was/is stolen. Seems funny you'd buy your own car back w no keys. Anyway, now you know how to keep the people who have the legitimate keys and fobs from accessing the vehicle.

ckoladawn 10-11-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 51770)
If you are concerned about unauthorized access to the vehicle, whatever you do, do NOT vet keys cut from the GM dealer using the VIN. Those keys would match the door locks you have, which are of no current use in securing the vehicle if the original keys are out there somewhere.

Do not forget the trunk lock cylinder.

You also need to consider the fact that regardless of the lock cylinders, the rke fobs will still unlock the doors and the trunk. So unless you have them both, I'd reprogram them from the alarm system.

Oh, if the ignition is torn out that usually indicates the car was/is stolen. Seems funny you'd buy your own car back w no keys. Anyway, now you know how to keep the people who have the legitimate keys and fobs from accessing the vehicle.

When I owned the vehicle 3 years ago it didn't have rke fobs. I have been suspicious about the vehicle being stolen but I have the title. I found the saturn for sale online and it was very cheap. The guy said nothing was wrong with it. When I met him to buy it is when I learned there was no keys and that he owed money to a car lot. That's why I want the locks changed instead of just having keys cut. It is odd that the guy would sell the car so cheap when he just bought it and the fact a car lot would sell a car without keys and ignition. I discovered it was originally my car because of a specific dent in the hood and it has the toggle switch I installed for the fan. That's why I bought it back was because I know the car and I know what work I have done on it and what work it might need.

derf 10-11-2015 10:24 PM

Ummmmm, run away.

You have A title. Is it the real title for that car?
I'd check very closely, especially the VIN. Might even look correct but be a fraudulent title.

If it were me (and it is not), I would assume the car is stolen --- likely by an associate of the man that you bought it from--that's why there are no keys AND the ignition was popped

Run a CARFAX on the VIN on the dash to see who actually transferred title to whom and when. Even if it is a valid title, if the dealer you bought it from has jumped title, by not registering it upon acquiring it, that is illegal/fraudulent. If he knew the car was stolen, hey would of course jump title as he doesn't want a paper trail leading to him.
If you signed the title with you as the buyer and some previous owner that's not him, he jumped title.
Hold onto your bill of sale and don't mess with anything.

I THINK CARFAX will report if it was ever stolen.

IF it is, you might need legal representation, since technically if it is a stolen vehicle then you are currently in possession of stolen property with no keys to anything, and may be charged with grand theft auto.

Run the CARFAX ASAP (vin off car, not title).
If it comes back stolen, IN MY OPINION best off to write up a detailed explanation of how you ended up with the car, decide whether you want legal representation, and surrender the thing, because if it IS INDEED STOLEN and you get pulled over, you're going to jail.

Trying to register it if it stolen will also not work out very well

ckoladawn 10-11-2015 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 51778)
Ummmmm, run away.

You have A title. Is it the real title for that car?
I'd check very closely, especially the VIN. Might even look correct but be a fraudulent title.

If it were me (and it is not), I would assume the car is stolen --- likely by an associate of the man that you bought it from--that's why there are no keys AND the ignition was popped

Run a CARFAX on the VIN on the dash to see who actually transferred title to whom and when. Even if it is a valid title, if the dealer you bought it from has jumped title, by not registering it upon acquiring it, that is illegal/fraudulent. If he knew the car was stolen, hey would of course jump title as he doesn't want a paper trail leading to him.
If you signed the title with you as the buyer and some previous owner that's not him, he jumped title.
Hold onto your bill of sale and don't mess with anything.

I THINK CARFAX will report if it was ever stolen.

IF it is, you might need legal representation, since technically if it is a stolen vehicle then you are currently in possession of stolen property with no keys to anything, and may be charged with grand theft auto.

Run the CARFAX ASAP (vin off car, not title).
If it comes back stolen, IN MY OPINION best off to write up a detailed explanation of how you ended up with the car, decide whether you want legal representation, and surrender the thing, because if it IS INDEED STOLEN and you get pulled over, you're going to jail.

Trying to register it if it stolen will also not work out very well

The title and vin match up. The title is in the guys name that I bought it from and it had a lien from the car lot on the bottom that has been signed off on. I didn't know you could do carfax if you wasn't a dealer. I am friends with the county clerk and a few officers and thought about running everything through them to make sure it all checks out. I have thought that maybe the guy I bought it from was planning to steal it back because he wanted my address so I have been keeping the car at a relatives house until I'm able to lock it.

derf 10-11-2015 11:06 PM

so he bought it, registered/titled it,
-- must have borrowed money to acquire the car, hence the lien by the lot,
then the lien lifted at sale to you.

I am a pessimist so I am betting it is a fake title and the car is stolen.
The CARFAX should show you transfer of ownership. If he's not on there, then it wasn't his to sell---also known as stolen.

I hope for your sake it's not, but no reputable lot would sell a car that has every indication that it is stolen. It's possible someone signed away liability making all this "legit" at some point but you'll find out soon enough.

Rubehayseed 10-12-2015 06:47 AM

Great Joe Walsh tune, derf.

derf 10-12-2015 09:38 AM

James Gang, technically, but indeed Joe Walsh singin n strummin