General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

radio locked up.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Banned
Exclamation radio locked up.

anybody know how to get the radio anti-theft system working right? we had the car in for service and the mechanic disconnected the battery which puts the radio into lockdown. my wife tried to unlock it but couldn't and now i can't either even though i have the code to do so. the owners manual says to turn on the ignition, turn off the radio and then hold buttons 5 and 6 down to get the form into which to place the unlocking code. i can't get the unlocking form to come up.

Last edited by derf; 09-22-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

There is an 800 number you can call, but the dealer code that we all used is no longer valid. I'm thinking you guessed wrong too many times and now it says inop. There's a different key sequence for that. There's a way to generate a code from the radio to give to this automated line or to a dealer. If they are kind they will do it for free, maybe more likely if you get them the code they need to input to get the code from gm central. Might think its a pain to open a service ticket for that. If they tell you it's 95/just to look at it, walk away. Lemme know if you want the procedure. It's out on the web........

Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Banned
Default unlocked

thanks for the reply derf.

i called the (old) saturn dealer and told them what i had going. thye told me to just tourn the ignition key on and leave the engine off for one hour and the radio would revert to the default setting so that i could then enter the proper code.
it worked.