General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Please Help.Automatic Trans Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 AM

I am new to the forum and firstI would like to thank all who have this site up and running for folks like me in need of goodold fashioned honest help!

WhatI have is a 2001 Saturn SC1 1.9 SOHC with a automatic transaxle with 93,000 miles. I purchased this car brand new andhave maintained it to a "T" since the day we brought her home.(Oil Changes every 3-4,000, TransAxle Fluid and filter ever 15-20,000, brakes, Struts, Belt Ect....you get the idea)I try do all my own work, because of some bad shop experiences.It's been a wonderful car andI hope it to be that way for many more miles!

My wife took it on a weekend round trip about 500 miles. On her return home she met me at work we left for home. About 25 miles from home the Transaxle started to "SLAM" into every gear as we left a stop light, and whenI say "Slammed"I mean the car literally jerked as we hit every gear enough to give us a good jolt!Now it did this not only taking off but as it down shifted as we slowed down to the next light. I immediately pulled over and checked the fluid. It was fine. Not know what else to do or being a Triple A member, we decided to try and get the car home.Now I will say that once we got back out on the highway(55-65mph) it seemed to cruise just fine to get us home. Also I will note that the transaxle never "SLIPPED" or miss a gearbut just shifted VERY VERY hard! I parked it yesterday soI could research it today.

As for todayI searched my chilton manual and called a few places around Austin.All the shops want me to bring it to run a diagnostic to determine the problem whichI understandis the right thing to do,but I fear the 30 mile or so drive to the nearist shop might cause more damageand the $175.00 towing fee sinceI live out of the city limits and all the FREETOWING ADSdon't apply to me. The best guessI have after reading my manual is it could hopefully be the Vehicle Speed Sendor(VSS) or even someone else said maybe the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS). WhenI got home today(I drove another car to work)I decided to take the saturn for a quick ride down the street. WhatI did notice today is the it seem to take a second to shift into reverse but "NO SLAM".[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Then as for the quick mile or so ride the car shifted ontime just as smooth as always[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]. I parked it feeling a little better but still knowing something can't be rightI am here spilling myself to the great people of this forum for anyhelpI can find or any diagnosis both good and bad! I ama pretty good mechanic when it come to my older trucks, but front wheel drive and all the new computers and sensors are a whole other ball game that haven'tplayed yet.

If there is anyone out ther who can help me or share some knowledge I am always happy to learn and would be very thankful for any helpI can get!I am Looking forward to any reponses! Thank you!

Justin C.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:09 AM

It sounds like the trans line pressure solenoid in the trans is failing. Possibly only when it gets hot. Not a huge job but it does take some brains. I'v done 10 or 12 cars for the same problem.If you look back a few weeks in the forum a lady had the same problem. The solenoid can be replaced on its own but the top of the trans has to come off to do it. You will need the solenoid the upper pan gasket and probably the solenoid connector harness it usually burns up due to the heat of the solenoid. You can get it scanned at a good shop to verify the problem. line pressure in the trans should be 60 to 90 ish but if the line pressure sol is gone the press sits at 220 which is way too much pressure to engage the clutches causin your harsh shift, and cuz the line sol feed all the gear sols you get the problem in all gears not just one. Oh and it must be happenin to get a bad reading with a scanner, if its runnin ok line pressure will not be out of rang but there may be a code stored in the tcm. GOOD LUCK.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks alot Rick! I'm actually taking thecar to the shop tommorrow to get it scanned. i hope its something pretty simple. thank you for the reply

Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

let us know what they find out! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 PM

Well fellows, i took it into the shop yesterday. It's a pretty well known shop in Austin. I drove the car with one of the mechanics and as it would go the car acted great except for just one pretty Hard shift. We took it back, put the car on the scanner and he could pull any codes while running or from the memory. I Don't know.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

The car shifted great all the way home Monday with no problems. I decided to take it today not satisfied with the first shop. Anyways this time the car showed all the hard shifts, but still no codes! The Mechanic had no idea.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

I am at my whits end [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]and i am going todomyselfwhat RICK suggested in his post.

Rick, a few questions for you since you know what your talking about Buddy.

Can i get the trans line pressure solenoid at any parts store or is it a dealer item?Gasket as well? Also would you have any schematics you could email me? i do have a chilton but its pretty vague when it comes to the transaxle. Last but not least, any pointers you have would be greatly appreciated. I do have a pretty good mechanical knowledge having worked on my own cars and serving as a C-130 CrewChief in the A.F., butthis front transaxle is a new animal to me. I look at is as "Parts is Parts & Pieces is Pieces"I truly appreciate all the help i can get with this![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

thank you,

Justin C.

Justin5296@excite.com

Old 11-30-2005, 05:13 PM

it is deffinently a bad solenoid. It is easy to replace. Remove battery, remove battery box. take off trans cover, remove all bolts around perimeter, and remove all parts in the area that is lower then the rest.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 PM

well i decided to give a shopone more chance after i thought it over last night, and before i start chunking parts all over my shop. I found a good tranny shop today and after the same test drive and no codes as before, this Technician saidto figure it out, he would need the car awhile longer to run line pressure tests and "what not" to find the root of the problem. anyways i was overjoyed to get adifferent response than "I DUNNO". I left the car with them and i will see what they have to say tommorrow. If anyone knows anything about Cottman Transmissions let me know. I hear the are a reallyhonest national chain andnot to mention theyare doing all of this free of charge(hopefully not trying to butter me up).

Anyways fellows i will let you know how it turns out and i appreciate the help.

Justin

Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

good luck

Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 AM

good luck