Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Manual Transmission not shifting (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/manual-transmission-not-shifting-10048/)

sean1999 05-31-2015 02:12 PM

Manual Transmission not shifting

Hi. My 4 cyl 1.9, 5 speed manual tranny won't shift when the engine is running. Depressing the clutch disengages the engine. It shifts through all gears with the engine off and can be shifted while driving, provided I match the rpms and speed. I can't be the only one experiencing this. Any info out there?
Thanks, Sean.

derf 05-31-2015 11:33 PM

Moved to general tech section.

No tech questions in the new member area, please

That's why we made a sticky about it..............

02 LW300 05-31-2015 11:54 PM

Sounds like your clutch is NOT releasing completely. Do you have to put it gear before you start it? Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.

sean1999 06-02-2015 09:29 PM

Yes. I did have to start the engine in gear (most of the time) in order to get it in gear at all. I topped the clutch fluid and now it is working well. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm well over 200k, so things might be expected to go wrong once in a while.

Thanks for the tip.

derf 06-03-2015 12:55 AM

I'd be concerned if it is leaking.
When you lose the master, the slave can't move anything and your shifter will get pinned in gear. Or neutral if you're lucky.

Ask me how I know.

Master and slave come as a connected pre-bled pair with rotatable connections that allow you to snake it where it needs to go

sean1999 06-06-2015 03:19 PM

There is no leaking fluid. The clutch performed well after adding a small amount of fluid, though it didn't look low, then after about 20 miles, again would not disengage. After examining it again ( just looking) it works fine once more!? Fluid is full. No leaks. This does not sound good. I didn't see any other adjustment for clutch mechanism travel. Any ideas?

Sean

by the way: how do you know, derf?

derf 06-06-2015 10:52 PM

I know because I had trouble getting my car into gear when leaving Jersey for a trip to downtown Philly. Thought it was the floor mat keeping me from pushing the clutch all the way in. Moved mat, took trip.

Gut hung up in traffic on I 95 near Philly; went to downshift---nope --stuck in neutral....coasting...had to pump clutch 10 times to get enough hydraulic pressure built up to release the clutch and shift into gear. Happened for the next few shifts, then problem vanished for about 30 shifts.

Left Philly. Couldn't get into gear at stop light. Pump Pump Pump the clutch, get it in gear, shifts fine the rest of the way home, mostly highway. USing 1 3 5th only since I do not know how many shifts I have left.

Go to back into the driveway -- can't put into reverse -- or 1st- or any gear.
Pump Pump Pump, get into reverse, back into driveway.

Come out next morning, the hydraulics had failed to the point that the slave piston was no longer pressing hard enough to keep clutch in normal position.

Shifter PINNED in 1st. It took me about 40 pumps and both hands on the shifter to get it into neutral.

Conclusion: Master or slave hydraulics failed internally. No leaks or external signs.

The intermittent behavior is your early warning -- i'd replace with a pre bled combo master/slave before you get stranded.

No way to predict WHEN it wil fail, although you can confirm that your hydraulics are faulty by measuring the travel of the slave cylinder piston when you are having this problem -- look up richpin06a 's youtube video on the subject. Requires 2 people.