Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Fun with 20 year old bulbs n sockets (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/fun-20-year-old-bulbs-n-sockets-9863/)

derf 02-06-2015 12:18 PM

Fun with 20 year old bulbs n sockets

Here's a fun one:

I went out to my 95 SC2 and took it for a drive this morning.

The very first time I turned on my left turn signal, it did the "fast blinkie blinkie thing. OK, turn signal bulb out.

Come home, remove tail light housing and there is this little ice formation with the shape of a bulb imprinted on the top. So apparently, a small bit of water has been sneaking in there , and the angle at which I parked it was just right for the ice to form and break the bulb.

Glass came off in my hand as soon as I touched it, The bottom of the bulb and socket are rustier than hell, I'm toying with a few ideas:

1) put a heat gun to it and hope the different metals expand at different rates and the bulb socket can be pulled out

2) soaking he whole thing in PB Blaster. If I do it with it still attached to the car, it will stink up the car, I could cut it off and soak it with only the socket portion submerged, bu t I would need it sealed really tight as my wife will not tolerate the stench where she parks?

I'm thinkin cutoff and Ziploc bag on flat surface with only socket submerged.

Any ideas?
Does PB Blaster dissolve plastics?

Rubehayseed 02-06-2015 01:54 PM

I'd try the heat gun and a pair of needle nose pliers, derf. If that doesn't work, then the PB or an equivilent will probably be needed. Check your grounds while you're messing with it.

goaliemo 02-06-2015 06:34 PM

I would just replace everything. New tail lights, head lights, bulbs, turbo'd motor, yussss

derf 02-07-2015 12:04 AM

cmon up -- I have access to a lift. Perfect ODBI candidate for a turbo if I could just find that random miss at idle that doesn't miss under load. The shop guys chuckle once a year at inspection time because there are never any codes but you can stand by the tailpipe and hear it randomly miss. But no codes b/c ODBI not ODBII which would P0300 in less than 5 seconds.

goaliemo 02-07-2015 12:36 AM

I'll come help!
Find a spare motor at the junk yard though. Do a complete rebuild, upgraded forged internals, head work, slap a t3/t4 on it and you'll see some life in that car!
Tell yuh what, ill bring the redline up, and when we race, ill give you a 2 car start XD

derf 02-07-2015 12:50 AM

yeah, sure, don't remind me to weld the diff pin....you're a mean one, mr grinch....

I can't pull faster than an 11.8 on front slicks with the car stripped. I want 13.458 car lengths

derf 02-07-2015 12:51 AM

oh and thank you for your suggestion about the taillight issue

goaliemo 02-07-2015 12:25 PM

im 15 sec all stock, street wheels XD

derf 02-08-2015 01:14 AM

I'm 8.6 0-60; don't know quarter mile cause I crossed over into the other lane and narrowly missed my opponent.

goaliemo 02-08-2015 02:17 PM

0-60 in 6.2 seconds I believe