General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Can i change gears without the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 06:44 PM
Default Can i change gears without the clutch?

My problems with the clutch linkage have gotten worse and I am having problems shifting gears even when the car is moving.
I have a 1996 Saturn sl with over 300K. and a 5 speed manual transmission.

All of a sudden, one day the transmission became much harder to shift, I couldn't even get into first gear but
was able start out in second. I filled up the clutch master cylinder but that didn't help. I replaced the entire
clutch linkage but that didn't change anything.

The clutch does not slip. To get the car moving I have to start it in first gear with the clutch depressed. As the motor
is leaping to life the car is also moving. When this started about a month ago I was able to shift gears while the
car was moving but I am having a lot of difficulty doing that now.

I posted this problem about a month ago and seemed to stump the forum. Here's the link:
Clutch hydraulic replacement didn't work - Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

All I want to do now is to be able to shift gears while I am moving, the car is so old I am
not sure it is worth yanking the tranny and replacing the entire clutch/linkage assembly.

Thanks
Rick

Old 08-20-2022, 07:21 AM

Well, you never responded to derfs last post on your previous post and we STILL don't know if you checked the shift bushings on both end of the cables or tried replacing just the cables. I don't know if you can shift without the clutch, but it seems like you've reached the point of "what do I have to lose if I try it" to me. Have you tried just stopping at a transmission shop and asking to speak to someone who's familiar with manual shift transmissions and pick their brain?

Old 08-20-2022, 10:05 AM

i apologize for not responding to the last post. I have checked the cables on the inside of the car and they seem to be in good shape, I
replaced one of the bushings about a year ago. However, I don't think it is the cables because I can shift into any gear easily if the
car is not running.

When the car is running it won't go into gear. The gears don't grind but I can't get it into gear. It was fairly easy to get it into gear
once the car is running but now it has become very difficult to get it into any gear.

Thanks for your hellp

Old 08-20-2022, 10:08 AM

Once you get a standard transmission vehicle moving, you can shift most any one without a clutch. It takes a LOT of practice (and patience). Doing it smoothly and fairly quickly, you first have to 'unload' the engine (no torque), slip the shifter out of the current gear, increase/decrease engine speed to match the next desired gear, then 'slip' the gear into mesh using the shifter. You can shift up and down this way. Many old truck drivers did this for all their shifting once they got moving.

I'm not recommending this be your solution, but it can be done. Myself, I'd get it repaired properly.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:36 PM

Thanks Oldmarine, ironically I am an old trucker and the semi I am driving has a manual transmission. I know how to shift gears without a
clutch but am having a lot of problems doing it with this car. The gears don't grind but it is very difficult to get it into gear. Some of
the guys mentioned it might be the clutch cables or bushings but when the car is turned off I can shift fine. If the cables were pinching or the bushings were shot, I would think it
would be just as difficult to get it into gear without the motor running as with it running.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:07 AM

Maybe try a fluid change in it? I'm not sure what type fluid these transmissions use whether it's gear oil or ATF. Derf will definitely know. Maybe use a full synthetic in it? IDK, because I'm NOT a mechanic. Just speculating.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:17 PM

They call for dot3 brake fluid in the hydraulic clutch linkage.
When I started having problems I checked the level of fluid and found it to be up to the top. I then replaced the whole clutch
hydraulic assembly. One some cars a person has to replace the master cylinder or slave cylinder and then bleed them but on
a Saturn it is possible to buy the whole assembly supposedly already bled.

There are ways to bleed the system without a bleed screw so I am going to try that.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:30 AM

Wow! I've never heard of buying a pre-bled assembly. Where in the world did you get that? I understand that bleeding the clutch slave and master are somewhat of a pain. Fortunately for me, I've never had to do that to any of my manual shift cars.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:46 AM

probably coulda had a new clutch installed by now, just saayin!!

Old 08-22-2022, 10:25 AM

I got the (supposedly) pre bled assembly at O'reilly's. I just got off the phone with the tech support for the assembly and the
guy said I should try and bleed it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dude: even if I had replaced the clutch the problem could still be there. The clutch linkage and the clutch are two different things.

Quick Reply: Can i change gears without the clutch?