Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Engine fan not working (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/engine-fan-not-working-5889/)

jimsSc2 06-24-2011 12:33 PM

Engine fan not working

Help please. 2001 SC2 is over heating. Fan only kicks on when A/C is on and the A/C has a leak and will not keep a charge. I have replaced the ECTS sensor and that did not help. Is there another sensor? Any suggestions? Thanks :confused:

sw2cam 06-24-2011 12:39 PM

You changed the ETCS but did you buy it from the dealer, and did you replace the connector that should also be bought from the dealer. As far as the A/C goes we can't find the leak on an internet forum.

jimsSc2 06-24-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam (Post 25851)
You changed the ETCS but did you buy it from the dealer, and did you replace the connector that should also be bought from the dealer. As far as the A/C goes we can't find the leak on an internet forum.

Thanks. So both connector and sensor should be changed at the same time?

sw2cam 06-24-2011 12:50 PM

Yes ....................

jimsSc2 06-24-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam (Post 25854)
Yes ....................

is there a second sensor? initially the dash gauge would not go over 1/4 but after replacing the ECTS the gauge goes all the way to the 1/2 way mark but still no engine fan........ There has got to be something else???? Thanks :)

sw2cam 06-24-2011 01:57 PM

2001 no second sensor. Cooling fan should come on at or around the 3/4 mark or when an operating A/C system is turned on.

jimsSc2 06-24-2011 02:27 PM

Cooling fan is not kicking on at all. The only time it kicked on is when I recharged the leaking A/C but as soon as the compressor stops the fans stops and does not restart. UGH! switched the 2 relays...... nothing. Checked the 30 AMP fuse

scotterichmond 06-24-2011 02:31 PM

If you can get access to a scanner ( I use a snapon) you can toggle the fan on and off .

OceanArcher 06-24-2011 02:50 PM

If the fan runs when you trigger the A/C, that means most of the various parts are in working order. The ECTS may have been a defective part (from the seller - somewhat unlikely), or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is not responding properly. It's true that some people run a manual switch on the fan - but I personally don't recommend it

derf 06-26-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jimsSc2 (Post 25855)
is there a second sensor? initially the dash gauge would not go over 1/4 but after replacing the ECTS the gauge goes all the way to the 1/2 way mark but still no engine fan........ There has got to be something else???? Thanks :)

Per Sw2's response, the fan will kick in around the 3/4 tick -- although somewhat unnerving, it is by design. also remember the gauge is not linear.

if it's only at the 1/2 tick, it's running just fine--as in not overheating--assuming there is no corrosion on the ECTS connector that didn't get replaced.

Why do you state it's overheating? Not being a smart ass (right now) --you haven't mentioned it boiling over/spewing coolant....

please do tell