Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Electrical Parts -- Which Vendors are Part of the SAME COMPANY (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/electrical-parts-vendors-part-same-company-10551/)

derf 03-29-2016 11:40 AM

Electrical Parts -- Which Vendors are Part of the SAME COMPANY

Anyone know what changed?

02 LW300 03-29-2016 10:20 PM

They had to add a missfire monitor for OBD2. I don't know what else.

derf 03-29-2016 10:39 PM

Thanks.

I have found 1 source for an AC Delco replacement 93-95 but it is re numbered by AC Delco but valid for only the same 93-95 Saturn S car application.
And whereas the old part number seemed to include the ICM + 2 coils, the renumbered part that claims to be an equivalent is only the ICM.

Is Standard Motor Products a reliable brand?
It's that or Airtex /Wells who makes a cheap version and a better version. Whenever I see Airtex Wells products on RockAuto, they are usually the cheapest brand so I avoid.

Standard seems to be the high end of what the retail stores offer.....

Price of Standard vs AC Delco is about 25%.

Is AC Delco worth it, given that the last few items I've purchased were made in China and/or Taiwan? (stereotyping quality issues)

Rubehayseed 03-30-2016 07:12 AM

Definitely want to avoid the Airtex/Wells crap, derf. Both are low end cheap junk, just as you expected. I'm not familiar with the Standard Motor Products. Who sells them?

derf 03-30-2016 09:42 AM

Just remember Rube --- you asked.....

As usual, this parts search has expanded into a fustercluck of interwoven manufacturers , wrong part # cross references, and seemingly duplicate offerings by the same company for the same application -- some of which are still available, some of which aren't.

1) Standard Motor Products is related to BWD but they are 2 separate product lines
2) BWD is apparently the in house brand for AdvanceAuto
3) Eclhin seems to be the NAPA in house and usually only brand for NAPA electronics. Guess what, it's part of Standard Motor Products.

So Eclhin, SMP, and BWD are all part of the same company
And parts offered as CARQUEST by BWD are then also from this group

Then there's GM
In their efficient wisdom, I must have dug up 1 orig part # and 5 alternate numbers for this ICM. The part was used only on Saturn S cars from 93-95. How many part numbers do you need for the same part? Did some represent incremental improvements? Shouldn't need a new part # for that.

Then there's AC Delco, crossrefing different revised part numbers than RockAuto has. Of course the ACDelco specified by Rock Auto seems to be as extinct as the original GM part. Of several I have found ONE source for an AC Delco CLAIMING to be the correct substitute per the AC Delco site.

So my questions are

How would you rank the quality of the ignition parts manufacturers in today's world?

AC Delco
SMP/Standard line
SMP/Eclhin line
SMP/BWD line

THANKS

I know I am spending an inordinate amount of time searching for this part but I need the reliability as it is no longer my car and I do not want to have to keep feeding it cheap parts as that is a 120 mi round trip. It may be 21 years old, but the 1st 20 were pretty damn smooth. My nephew has had one thing after another pop up and I don't like to feel like I gave him a piece of junk that does noting but cost him money. There's a reason I gifted it to him -- and this is not it. Yes things reach their end of life after 2 decades -- I have with few exceptions gone OEM for decades and had nothing but smooth sailing. So smooth that I had no idea something this simple (AC Delco replacement) would be hard to find

Consider me awakened to the perils of older Saturn ownership (past)

19bonestock88 03-30-2016 09:51 AM

When the ICM failed on my old Ranger, I bought a BWD unit and it worked fine... The one stock coil I bought for my Redline was also a BWD unit, and it worked great until I put the ZZP coils on... I would say that given the advanced age of the car a non GM part will probably last for the remainder of the service life...

Rubehayseed 03-30-2016 02:50 PM

I'm a Mopar man, derf. Soooo, I'm not familiar with any of the other stuff except the Echlin line from NAPA. And it's been over 30 years since I used any of it. But as I recall, it was good quality stuff at the time.

02 LW300 03-30-2016 10:33 PM

I use Echlin or O.E.M. for electrical. Echlin did not make a perfect replacement fender mounted starter solenoid for my Ford chassis motorhome. I purchased a ST404 Echlin solenoid and modified it with my die grinder. It fits perfectly now. I only use O.E.M. Fuel pumps.

derf 03-31-2016 02:56 AM

Thanks folks.

Echlin it is.

It's moments like this(3:45 AM) that I truly appreciate the the Saturnforum experience.

No one person knows everything; everyone comes from different backgrounds with different personal experiences, and the sum of everyone's input allows others to gain the necessary knowledge to make an educated decision on how to address a situation.

Or, more succinctly -- you guys rock.

Octavious 04-02-2016 08:33 PM

For future reference I have used alot of standard motor product's products and have never had any issues with them. Most of the sensors on the satty rebuild were smp, and there is a handful of thier replacements in the diesel and bronco. Rockauto is a beautiful thing because you get to see every brand and price offered and stick with preferred brands instead of chineseium, and if OEM (or I cant find who made the OEM unit) are astronomically expensive I will normally default to SMP unless I see another brand that I know and trust