General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Hello all, My problem has me nutz ! I have road noise almost like I have monster tires on the car. Car is a 95 sw2 with 179xxx miles and still runs awesome !! I started trouble shooting this a few weeks ago, thought it was the exhaust. So I installed a cat back walker exhaust and it is real quiet but still has the road noise. The weird thing is it does not make any noise till almost 30 mph and if the road bears to the left the noise will go away ??? But will return when car is going straight. One thing I did notice is one bad strut on the driver side rear, no excessive heat from the wheels no play in the wheels. Car air damn or foil which ever its called that directs the air to the rad is very loose. Other than whats mentioned the car is awesome. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This was my Wifes car so not sure when the noise started, she just turned the stereo up, lol.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

First thing I would do, is to replace both rear struts. If one has failed, especially with the amount of mileage shown, the other one is close to doing the same.

That done, I would then rotate the tires from front to back and see if the road noise you complain of changes in any way.

Thirdly, I would jack the car, and carefully listen to the rear bearings. The95 models tended to have problems there more than others (reason unknown).Edited by: OceanArcher

Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the input, changing struts tomorrow. Have tried tire rotation no difference. Will jack car up again when doing struts and listen but I think I ruled that out by doing already.Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM

I''d look at tires first ....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 AM

Wow, front right motor mount is shot ! How hard are the others to change. Well changed the struts, have to test drive yet and go buy mount. Why do you think tires, bad belt. The tires are far from new but have a quarter to half tread. Could the mount be the culprit ?? Going left would take the weight off the front right mount ?? Thanks for the advise . Appreciate all. Peace.
Edited by: Mcluvin

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mcluvin
Wow, front right motor mount is shot ! How hard are the others to change.
Thats most likely your problem. They''re all pretty easy to seap out. Theres four in total, but only two you should be worried about. The upper passenger side one and the lower drivers side transmission mount. Under the transmission. Get them from the dealer. They will be a few bucks more, but the quality of aftermarket mounts is terrible.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Well changed the upper right mount big difference, but road noise still there so I put the car back up on stands and the passenger side front wheel had play in it . So I''m off to buy a bearing and the other mounts. I can see the lower passenger mount is in bad shape. Man this car is gonna be nice and quiet, lol. Thanks for the advise as it is pointing me in the right direction. Peace.