General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Curve ball...2 swings, 2 misses, 2 fouls

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 AM
Default Curve ball...2 swings, 2 misses, 2 fouls

So if I answer any body's posts, I'm in for life, if not banned.

Still looking for the correct motor, spousal unit is relentless with my inability to learn this platform's intricacies. I've got an Aurora with low mileage sitting, but that's a whole other forum.

Okay, little smarter, find a yard across the river with SL2 auto. Go check it out, same year, same intake as mine, $500, $800 installed, do it. Drop off Thursday, picked up Tuesday. Give new clutch package, say use flywheel that's been resurfaced once, not that long ago. They say no problemo.

Cool, chat with the guys, they mention they've never done a manual Saturn before mine. Jump it up drive away, clutch slipping. Come back, they say "It runs good, must be something else".

Do some searching and find out about the no bleed and pre-adjust procedure. Okay, now I'm thinking about it mechanically. I tear into the hydraulics, remove the master, slave, and little puck/bracket thingy.

Make the mistake of loosening the 3 bolts holding the puck to bracket, fluid comes out, air in system. Great, closed no bleedum. While I'm in the blazing sun, over a hunnerd degrees, I see a small ring on the asphalt, the same diameter as the stupid puck for what thing. Put in there and it fits like it was made for it, which I guess it was.

So I string the whole thing up by the reservoir, and pump the air out from the slave until I see bubbles in the reservoir stop. System pressured back up.

Now I start in on the non adjustable TOB arm's rod, sawing off 3/4 of an inch. Good pedal pressure, not slipping as BAD. Cut off about 1 inch total, no pedal. Go to the pay for junk yard and liberate an actuating rod, trim about 20mm off it. BAM grabby clutch.

What went wrong on the clutch install initially? PAX

Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

what went wrong is that you hired 2 clowns w no experience to work on your car.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:46 PM

That's what I get for going cheap. PAX