Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Cracked intake & turbo (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/cracked-intake-turbo-10690/)

kenbigdaddy 07-07-2016 11:29 AM

Cracked intake & turbo

I took my 2008 redline in yesterday for a new water pump. The tech had to remove the intake and turbo and when he did, discovered a fairly significant crack in both. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. It's about a 3 grand repair.
thanks
Ken

derf 07-07-2016 09:59 PM

Ken_Phill,

There is a GM bulletin which discusses
Turbocharger Housing Inlet Flange Cracks in Partition Wall

It is Manufacturer Communication No.: SB-09-06-93-002

See below
-----------

Subject: Turbocharger Housing Inlet Flange Cracks in Partition Wall

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS
2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007-2009 Saturn SKY Redline
2007-2009 Opel GT
2007-2009 Daewoo G2X
All Equipped with Engine RPO LNF

Important: DO NOT replace the turbocharger assembly for this concern.

The purpose of this bulletin is to address concerns with turbocharger housing cracks in the inlet flange partition wall.

The pictures below illustrate typical cracks found in the turbocharger housing.

SORRY NO PICTURES

This illustration shows the location of the cracks in the partition wall of the turbocharger inlet flange on the left (1) and on the right (2).
This illustration shows a close-up of the crack on the left side of the partition wall (1).

This illustration shows a close-up of the crack on the right side of the partition wall (2).

These cracks are not uncommon and are considered a normal condition and should NOT be a reason for replacing the turbocharger assembly. The cracks will not affect performance.
-----------------------------------
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

As stated above, certain cracks in the turbo housing are "not uncommon".

Well that's good to know that everyone else has QC problems with the same part. I wonder when they DO become significant. Thermal expansion and contraction are problems overcome by design. But extra material in the turbo and ex mani= extra $$ in production costs. And as we all know, the sticker price rules.

Also, depending on the location of the cracks, it may not require replacement (turbo).