Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   code P0172 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/code-p0172-9769/)

dwain1968 11-22-2014 10:40 PM

code P0172

i need some real help here. i have a 2004 ion with the 2.2 i keep getting P0172 code and it is running rich.the following is the list of what i have changed trying to track this down .o2 sensor bank 1,map sensor,ngk laser iridium spark plugs,air intake air charge temp sensor,coolant temp sensor,thermostat,air filter,gas cap.i have run it on a scanner and my short term fuel trim is running between -14 and -20 so it is running rich i also looked at the plugs and they are a little dark so they are telling me it is running rich.what else is therefor me to look at i am pretty much out of ideas and thinking it is a bad computer.does any one have any test that i can run on what ever to try and track this down.i have a snap on modis scanner and oh yeah dont let me forget i am a mechanic so i do know what i am doing but this is my car and i can not figure it out.thanks for any help you all can give me.

derf 11-23-2014 03:09 AM

This dude seems to have some heavy saturn experience. not where I'd expect to find a technical answer but he seems to be pretty specific regarding what sets the code and what to check.

http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/5j8...stem-rich.html

Change fuel filter or regulator recently?
Might try pulling the front O2 and driving it to see if catcon is plugging up.

dwain1968 11-23-2014 07:14 AM

code P0172

i ran a fuel pressure test and it holds steady at 58lbs while running drops to 52lbs when shut off holds there for the 8 min it's supposed to so can't see it being the regulator same with fuel filter if it was plugged i would think i would get a lean condition not rich. i have too much fuel. there also isn't any drive ability issue, it also is intermittent it shuts off at different mileage i've driven 140 miles after it shut it's self off down to 20 miles. i've cleared the code and driven 20 miles it came back on then in the same trip 30-40 miles later it shuts it self off. i just don't get it, going to check some more today it's warm here today so that's my task for the day.what do you mean about pulling the wires on the o2 sensor what would that do, what do i look for as far as a result? did check the reading on the o2 sensor and at idle it fluctuates between .5-.9 so it is running rich at idle. any idea where else i could look for a solution.

Rubehayseed 11-23-2014 09:28 AM

Have you tried a good, old fashioned throttle body cleaning? I'll be the first to admit that I've never even popped the hood on an Ion, so don't know anything about them. Seems like every Saturn model has it's own quirks. Is the PCV system and EGR working correctly? I'd yank the iridium plugs and replace them with what the sticker under the hood calls for too. The engineers put those plugs in there for a reason.

goaliemo 11-23-2014 07:18 PM

These cars are very picky on what plugs they like. Stick to what is recommended, and yes, try cleaning the throttle body as well.

derf 11-23-2014 09:48 PM

I did not suggest pulling the O2 sensor wires -- i suggested pulling the front O2 out completely and driving it that way to see if the cat con might be plugging up and causing a restriction in the exhaust flow.

Have you checked for a leaky injector(s)?
Vacuum leak around the MAP sensor grommet?
Air intake clear?
Is the fuel vapor canister saturated with fuel?

Also, you left out the critical information about the seemingly random shutdowns.....may be related, may not....but it's hard to solve a puzzle without all the pieces......

dwain1968 11-24-2014 03:02 PM

yep i cleaned the throttle body that was one of the first things i did to the car when i got it. injectors aren't leaking because the fuel pressure leak down test would have showed that. that was one of my first thoughts but all 4 plugs are the same with their coloring so it has to be a universal problem effecting all cylinders. the pcv is a very good thought cause i just disconnected the valve pan cover tube that goes into the air box and i've driven it over 80 miles and no light so it could also be the air intake below the air filter another good idea. it's running really good right now with just that small amount of air from that hose not being there. thanks for those ideas.i believe my problem is that it's not getting enough air.but for now i'll drive it with that hose unplugged and see what happens over the next couple of days,i put 80 miles a day on it so i'll know in another day or so.oh the plugs are what are factory replacement for it now cause they actually quit making the same plugs it came with, i wanted the original plugs but they are discontinued. i wasn't really happy about these plugs to begin with but after talking to a guy who worked for saturn for 15 years i'm ok with them now. oh almost forgot the random shut downs are me just driving to different places. the light will go off at different mileage and come on as well. it's not like i drive 50 miles and the light comes on some times it wont come on for 150 miles. same with it going off well actually thats not right it goes off if i drive for 2 short trips under 15 miles each trip.

derf 11-24-2014 10:20 PM

it also is intermittent it shuts off at different mileage i've driven 140 miles after it shut it's self off down to 20 miles. i've cleared the code and driven 20 miles it came back on then in the same trip 30-40 miles later it shuts it self off.
Oh you mean the SES LIGHT shuts itself off. Usually when someone references shut off, they mean the CAR. Which is what I thought you meant. Hence my comments. sorry/misunderstanding/no foul/whatever/move on.

Glad to hear it is running better. Does it have the stock intake on it (sorry I had to ask)?

Quality air filter in there? Might be a simple constriction of air flow caused by a crappy filter.

dwain1968 11-25-2014 05:30 AM

yeah stock intake and i just put a fram filter in it that i got from rock auto. i'm just lost with this car. it runs great if i didn't have ocd about the light there would be no problem. oh well i'll keep driving it see what happens.

paulino16 05-06-2019 01:43 PM

Did you fix it?

Did you ever fix the problem? I have the same issue and is driving me crazy. Anything that can help, I will appreciate it!