General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

01 Saturn sc2 ..... Passlock reset help ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Default 01 Saturn sc2 ..... Passlock reset help ...

I have a 01 Saturn sc2 , has spark , getting fuel to the Schrader valve at fuel rail . Starts momentarily and dies instantly . Passlock relearn unsuccessful . Security light is not on at all . Past owner has already bypassed system with resistors sodered inline ...

Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 AM

Double check those soldered joints. That may be the problem. OR maybe something like this?
tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxjYWUf9Ymg

Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 PM

It's a good suggestion ... After I discovered this was done previously I did check it ... Like I said the security light does not even come on anymore , after being on for weeks , so in a attempt to get things back to original form I cut out the resistors and re wired the switch to factory , but still no light and same issue .....

Old 09-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

To say the passlock reset was not successful when you cannot see the status of the security light is a big assumption. I'll agree you are probably right, though. Make your diag life easier and replace the led or dash bulb so you will know what's going on.

Also, have you checked the BCM fuses and any others that might be part of the security system?

That being said, if the resistors in place were still connected in a sound manner electrically, my GUESS would be that you need to run the full 30 min relearn with your car hooked up to a battery charger or another running car. Don't know if you only did the 10 or the 30 version. Not having the light to watch for when it goes out is a huge disadvantage.

Can't guarantee it, but if the previous owner soldered in the resistors, the issue was likely with the sensor in the ignition switch not picking up the key and sending the password to the BCM.

When the BCM and ignition switch agree the right key is in the ignition, the ignition switch and BCM agree on the password being correct, the BCM sends a message to the PCM to enable the injectors.

So the fact that the resistors don't do the trick anymore makes not having the security light functional a huge disadvantage. The behavior of the light during the reset procedure will tell you about what's going on. If the security light is staying lit solid indefinitely and not for just the 10 min interval during the reset, the problem is likely the BCM into which the security system is integrated. Now that you have it back to stock wiring, the ignition switch is back in play as a trouble source..

Personally, I'd verify the resistance of the resistor string and the electrical continuity of it and put it back in so you can take the ignition switch sensor out of the equation.. Then replace the bulb for the security light or figure out a way to measure the DC v across the wires that lead to it. Non zero means on, zero means off. The blink is slow enough to watch with a digital voltmeter.

Then do the full 30 min relearn. If the solid light doesn't go out after 10 minutes, it's probably a BCM issue.

For non DIYers, this very issue is what sent many other perfectly functional older sattys to the junkyard, as the cost of a junkyard BCM is not cheap if they pull it from a fresh wreck and know it is functioning.

Don't run out and buy a new one just yet.

Last edited by derf; 09-30-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the reply , that is all really good information , I didn't even think that the light may be malfunctioning itself , or checked fuses for the bcm . I will let you know how it goes .