Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   AC stop leak in a can -- anyone used it? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/ac-stop-leak-can-anyone-used-9580/)

derf 06-20-2014 04:06 PM

AC stop leak in a can -- anyone used it?

Simply on principle and logic I am against using such stop leak products because I assume that if they actually DO seal a real leak, they do so at the expense of distributing sealant material throughout the system, possibly creating future obstruction related issues.

I have a 95 sc2 with an AC leak, presumably in the evaporator since I've dyed the system and there is no leak under the hood. I'm not ripping open the dash to replace it.

Every year the leak gets worse. I get it evac'd and refilled each year. Last year was 180/60 (yes high for the low side but done by an ex saturn tech) just to get it to cool. I'm doubtful I'll be able to get it to cool when recharged this year.

Do I go with the fixx it in a can (as unc refers to it)?

Any experiences with the AC stop leak?

Do I really have that much to lose?

Rubehayseed 06-20-2014 06:46 PM

I've never used it personally, derf, so can't say. BUT at this point in time, I'd say it's worth a chance for you. I doubt that you'll do any good with a normal recharge with pressures like that anyway. Go for it!

DailyPlanet 06-21-2014 09:11 PM

I have used refrigerant that contains leak stop additive. First tried it on my '93 Mustang without definitive results. It may fix a very small leak but I doubt it will fix it permanently. The leak on the 'Stang finally got big enough to be obvious and I replaced a line today.

Bill Berger 06-22-2014 04:42 AM

Possibly a quick cheap fix. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Let us know the results please, thanks.

uncljohn 06-28-2014 10:37 PM

Derf, as most of my cars are pretty long in tooth and some of them are 134 conversions i use the stop leak in a can stuff regularly on my Spirit which is really old. I broke the condenser a year ago putting in a battery and had to order a replacement. It finally came and it took me awhile to get all the connections tight. Stop leak in a can does some good in that it buys time. In general leaks on older cars take place at points where there are unions that need to be tightened such as where the compressor is and vibration takes place. Harbor freight has a universal "O" ring package, the green ones which are formulated for A/C applications.
It will help if you feel the need to replace O rings. Although some gaskets and such are special design rather than universal "O" rings.
My Spirit (a 1980 with an R134 conversion and old lines still in use) was going though a can of 134 a year and pretty much held at that level but when I broke the condenser I found out just how rotten the metal had become over the years. It took me awhile to get the new one in and the connections tight so it leaked up until recently. It is now tight. Three times of tightening things and no longer appears to be leaking.
Like all something fix it in a can it can be over done and that needs to be watched. The only problem I have seen using it is the shrader valve stuck and I had to replace it which is about as hard as replacing one in a tire stem.
It stuck because the stop leak part got to it after a while.
I dunno, it is a 94 and how long does one expect it to go anyway?
I still have to repaint mine. Again. due to my own errors.
I guess I kinda resent that the $2.00 can of R134 is now $9.00 but it is still better than opening the windows when it is 105 outside.

uncljohn 06-28-2014 10:47 PM

Again I guess,
Derf,
I have no problem keeping my Saturn A/C cold here in Phoenix. No I am not an A/C mechanic other than a shade tree variety. I do not have a proper set of gauges and have never used them.
I use the single gauge package that can be used with a can of R134 and fill it up to the mark that say O.K. all while monitoring the temperature at a duct in the car.
The single gauge package has connections that are plastic and I have broken one of them so far in the last 10 years. To this date that has proven to be adequate for anything I have done from re-charging something from a junk yard that was dead, to changing a compressor and doing freon to R134 conversions.
I just have not had a problem with it.
That is with 5 of my own cars and converting from freon to R134 with club members AMC cars from the 1970's

RjION 06-29-2014 10:41 AM

I don't know "anyone" that had any luck with that stuff. Living in Arizona A/C is a must, and people will try anything to save money on an old car.

derf 06-29-2014 10:06 PM

Think I will take it to be evacd and charged and bring a can with me. If it doesn't hold pressure than I guess we try it and do another recharge.

wish me luck

RjION 07-02-2014 03:38 PM

If the leak is to bad it will not draw down a vacuum to evac it. You'll know before you add refrig.

uncljohn 07-03-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 44198)
Think I will take it to be evacd and charged and bring a can with me. If it doesn't hold pressure than I guess we try it and do another recharge.
wish me luck

Derf, I've never evac'd an A/C unit. I have not had a professional repair job done but once and that was when my 1977 Matador was a late model used car. And the shop screwed that one up.