Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   99 sw2 Trans Fluid Leak (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/99-sw2-trans-fluid-leak-10892/)

Geofry25 03-06-2017 04:55 PM

99 sw2 Trans Fluid Leak

I poked around a little before asking but if there is an existing thread, link is appreciated.

Bought this 99 sw2 for my son as his first car. Runs great, minor issues with appearance but solid engine as far as I can tell.

I came home from vacation and he mentioned the car was "stuttering". After 2 secs behind the wheel I realized it was the Tranny slipping and catching. It was dark so I couldn't so much last night.

Car would t move so I put a quart in to see if functionality returned and it did. However, while car is running, it's leaking like a sieve. I'm thinking cooler line but am by far no Saturn mechanic.

Any tips would e greatly appreciated as it relates to troubleshooting or things to take a peek at.

Cheers,
Jeff

​​

Rubehayseed 03-07-2017 07:19 AM

The first question I have is if you can point us to the direction of the leak? It may be something as simple as a leaking hose or line to a seal. If it's an output seal, you'll have to yank an axle to replace it, but it's not a difficult job. If it's an internal seal, then things are going to add up quickly. Unless you're a DIY guy and don't mind getting your hands dirty. These cars have a spin on type of filter too, so maybe you should check and make sure the filter is on tightly. I've never seen it, personally, but I guess someone could have failed to tighten it properly. It's on the front of the engine and looks like your oil filter. I'm sure if you do a search, you'll find a picture of the location.

Geofry25 03-08-2017 08:26 AM

Eureka?

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 56932)
The first question I have is if you can point us to the direction of the leak? It may be something as simple as a leaking hose or line to a seal. If it's an output seal, you'll have to yank an axle to replace it, but it's not a difficult job. If it's an internal seal, then things are going to add up quickly. Unless you're a DIY guy and don't mind getting your hands dirty. These cars have a spin on type of filter too, so maybe you should check and make sure the filter is on tightly. I've never seen it, personally, but I guess someone could have failed to tighten it properly. It's on the front of the engine and looks like your oil filter. I'm sure if you do a search, you'll find a picture of the location.

The Internet is such a wonderful thing. I found a video on swapping filter and fluid for location and upon removing the air filter box, etc. could clearly see filter, sensor, & cooler lines. With vehicle jacked up I had my son start the engine and immediately could see the fluid pissing. Looking a little closer, it appears to be coming out right where the filter mates with the housing. Filter seems tight though? It's pissing right below the sensor in pic.

Attachment 1461

02 LW300 03-08-2017 09:51 AM

That is a 7101 Napa filter, under $10. I would start there. :)

Geofry25 03-08-2017 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 56952)
That is a 7101 Napa filter, under $10. I would start there. :)

Is it strange that it just started leaking like that though? I'd be elated if this is the fix! Heat or perhaps corrosion could have affected the seal?

02 LW300 03-08-2017 10:39 AM

The rubber seal can fail and leak suddenly. The switch would seep if it failed. The cooler lines would feel loose if they were leaking. This is just a good starting point.

Geofry25 03-08-2017 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 56954)
The rubber seal can fail and leak suddenly. The switch would seep if it failed. The cooler lines would feel loose if they were leaking. This is just a good starting point.

Thanks again. In my reading I've seen the notion of the wix brand filter. How imperative is that when replacing. I've seen the contrary too so I figured I'd ask before heading to the parts house.

Geofry25 03-08-2017 06:00 PM

Sweet Success!

Originally Posted by Geofry25 (Post 56955)
Thanks again. In my reading I've seen the notion of the wix brand filter. How imperative is that when replacing. I've seen the contrary too so I figured I'd ask before heading to the parts house.

Could t find a Wix filter but managed to drain, swap filter and fill with no issues. Holding good and over some cardboard to be sure.

Thanks for the help yall

02 LW300 03-08-2017 10:07 PM

Wix makes Napa filters if that helps.

Rubehayseed 03-09-2017 08:12 AM

While wix does make an excellent filter, it's really not a critical thinking when troubleshooting. Any name brand filter is fine. The main point is that you are sure that was the culprit. Since they're cheap and easy to change, I recommend a new one along with a fluid change ever 50,000 miles or so.