Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   96 Saturn SL1 Hard to restart when warmed up (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/96-saturn-sl1-hard-restart-when-warmed-up-9859/)

brian_fiore 02-01-2015 09:15 AM

96 Saturn SL1 Hard to restart when warmed up

I have a 96 SL1 (1.9) that my son bought. It was rough running and stalled frequently. When it warmed up it wouldn't restart unless you hold the accelerator to the floor. I changed the CPS as the scan results pointed to a faulty sensor. I cleaned the plugs and changed the wires and still have a hard time starting after the engine warms up, after 10 minutes or so. After it cools down, it starts right up. It acts like its flooded. If you hold the pedal to the floor, it will start. The warmer it is, the harder it is to start. Any ideas? There are no active fault codes. I had the battery disconnected while replacing the starter. I drove it a total of 15 or 20 minutes. I appreciate any input.

derf 02-01-2015 11:31 AM

Try changing out the ects (coolant temp sensor) For starters. It directly affects the air/fuel mixture. Usually it will fail in such a way as to over richen the mixture so much that the car is hard to start cold. However, it can fail and cause the fuel mix to still be ok at cold temps but remain too rich when hot, leading to the issues you describe.

It's scary, between the ECTS and the front O2 sensor, how much these two sensors rule the drivability of the s series saturns.

The ECTS is a two wire sensor located in the head on the driver's side.
Replace the ECTS AND THE CONNECTOR (squeeze) with parts sourced from a GM dealer (replacement ECTS will be brass -- if not, do not accept it)

Please post back with resolution or lack thereof.

brian_fiore 02-01-2015 11:53 AM

Humble Pie

Thank you Derf! Ironically enough, my son (17) who is more tech savvy than mechanically inclined said the ETCS was bad. I thought he was way off. How funny is that? The temp gauge needle jumps around quite a bit. Makes sense. I will swap it out and get back to you Thanks again.

brian_fiore 02-01-2015 01:37 PM

Success!

The ECTS was the culprit. It runs smooth as silk and starts after running for a half hour now! Thank you very much for your assistance!

derf 02-01-2015 10:01 PM

That's why we're here.

Thanks for posting resolution.

Rubehayseed 02-02-2015 08:00 AM

Welcome to the forum, Brian. Stick around if you want help with that car. Or have your son join us. We've got some pretty sharp people here, (I'm not one of them) that are always happy to help our fellow Saturn owners.

sw2cam 02-03-2015 02:41 PM

Top right of most pages you'll see your username. Next to it a drop down, click it. Add your first name, location, and car to your "signature". Stop in the new member sub-forum and introduce yourself to the gang. If you really want to use this site for help and info......get your post count up to ten within ten days. If not your account will shut down for being inactive.

goaliemo 02-03-2015 04:08 PM

Welcome

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 46394)
Welcome to the forum, Brian. Stick around if you want help with that car. Or have your son join us. We've got some pretty sharp people here, (I'm not one of them) that are always happy to help our fellow Saturn owners.

Who owns a Saturn? this is a Saturn forum?
So no VTAKKKKKK?!?

Rubehayseed 02-03-2015 06:28 PM

Ehhh, I don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about, Billy!

derf 02-03-2015 09:44 PM

V-Tech

Honda

Ricers