Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   92 SL1 stalls when stopping (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/92-sl1-stalls-when-stopping-9660/)

turbozeke418 09-09-2014 04:40 PM

92 SL1 stalls when stopping

I have a 1992 SL1 with almost 200k miles. This car has not been pampered. It's been beat on.. In a flood in which the engine was started when in water (150k) and survived everything that my mother has put it through. 5 years ago I disconnected the check engine light because it never went off. Right now when it starts it revs at 3000 rpm for about 10-20 seconds and then goes down to a normal idle. When driving it, when coming to a stop it periodically stalls out on her. It starts back up but she's afraid to drive it in case it won't restart. Any idea what to look at first?

Rubehayseed 09-09-2014 05:20 PM

First thing I'd look for is a vacuum leak. With that many miles on a car that's had the hell beat out of it, that's not a bad place to start. Check vacuum hoses to the throttle body and you might also want to check the EGR valve and passage for carbon.

turbozeke418 09-09-2014 11:30 PM

sounds good...thanks

turbozeke418 09-10-2014 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I found the problem. Fuel is shooting out the back of the brass/copper colored round thing. It shoots directly towards the firewall. It looks to be held on by a couple screws. What is it?

Rubehayseed 09-10-2014 07:51 AM

My eyesight isn't good enough to see that picture clearly enough to see what you're talking about. I'm guessing it's the fuel line connection to your fuel rail, but not sure. Maybe if you enlarge the pic, I could tell. Or someone that can see and knows will be able to tell you. Sorry about that.

turbozeke418 09-11-2014 11:44 AM

OK the pic was the pressure relief diaphragm. I just fixed it and it's not spewing out fuel. But, when warm it idles VERY rough. It drives perfectly but after coming to a stop the car almost bogs completely out. All the vacuum lines look good.

Rubehayseed 09-11-2014 12:56 PM

I think maybe it's your fuel pressure regulator and I doubt that it's repairable. Do you have the SOHC or DOHC 1.9 engine? There is a difference in the FPR's and about $25.00 difference in the price for a new one.

turbozeke418 09-11-2014 06:28 PM

I just replaced that and it was very easy. It's the sohc.

Rubehayseed 09-11-2014 09:23 PM

Okay, that's good. Now then, when's the last time you did a tune up and cleaned your throttle body? Have you ever replaced the ECTS and pigtail? Do a little research here and read about that sensor. Quite a common problem on the Saturns. Rather than start shotgunning parts at it, have you even had the codes checked? If not, start there.

derf 09-15-2014 09:38 AM

you could also clear out the codes that trigger the SES that have been there for so long, then let the ones that remain re trigger. Then read them using the paper clip method abd post here.