General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Programming Keyless entry remote not working

Old 01-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Default Programming Keyless entry remote not working

Had to get new keyless fob for my 1999 Saturn. Tried programming the fob with the programming instructions and nonething happened? Not sure what the issue is or why the fob isn't programming. Its same remote as old one fcc id and model. any help would be great. Thanks

Old 01-26-2020, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Helps if you tell us
​​​​​​
what model car
What instructions
Post tech questions not in the new member area.

99=s car=Car has body control module= dealer must perform.

Is there a remaining fob that still works?
My point being how do you know if the fob is the program and not the remote keyless entry module in the car?

Service engine soon light on?
Anything in the car working properly besides this?

Old 01-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Model is 1999 saturn SL2, the instructions were what was sent with the key fob, to program it to the car. I dont have working key fob, it stopped working 2 weeks ago. I replaced battery on the old one it worked for 2 days and them stopped, so i brought new one. There isn't any check engine light on, and there no other issues with the car.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the responses. Do you know if the program procedure you received is available online for us to review?

Can you please type in the first few steps of the procedure or summarize them so that we can know what you are referring to?

Often but not always, when key fobs work, stop working, work again, then completely stop working, it turns out that the issue is actually the body control module which has fubar'd the "passcode" it has stored that allows your farm to open your car.

Sometimes we get posts about wacky stuff like it only unlocks the doors but will not lock them, the trunk won't unlock, etc. These all usually turn out to be body control module issues if the fobs were working just fine before all of this started. The fact that yours went spotty then ceased to work leads me to believe the issue was with the BCM, and only dealers to my knowledge can program this on a Saturn with a BCM.

Guys, am I correct? Third-gen s cars are by far my week S car suit. Never owned one, lots of changes but I do my best

Old 01-27-2020, 12:37 PM

These are the program instructions that came with key fob remote.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome. Thanks.
Looks familiar. I have done that for my 97SC2.

Can you get through the sequence with the expected horn behavior or does none of it work?

Old 01-28-2020, 01:01 PM

I tried the programming sequence 4 time's none thing happens.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Absolutely no horn honks whatsoever?

There is usually some cryptic printing molded onto the back of the case of the remote. Compare the new one to your existing one and make sure they match. This will not overcome the fact that the programming itself is not working but it is definitely something to double-check.
are you positive that you are jumping the correct pins and that the jumper is making contact on both ends?
If this procedure does not work with your original fob, call a GM dealer, Chevy seems to be sympathetic, and ask them if they have to program the fobs for your vehicle based on the VIN or if you should be able to do it through the diag port. I am almost certain your vehicle has a BCM and therefore needs to be programmed at the dealership.. I believe part of the complication is that the SLs and SCs are shifted by one year relative to each other when discussing 2nd vs 3rd generations. Therefore the vehicle you have may have gotten a BCM a year earlier than is being accounted for in those directions

Old 02-08-2020, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Any updates?