General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

AC question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:11 PM

I just installed a new radiator into the wifeys 94 SL. Not really knowing what I was doing in the beginning I started unhooking everything I thought was radiator related. In the process I unhooked a metal hose connecting the (ac condenser, the thing that isin front of the radiator). Once unhooked it started blowing out cold air for a minute or so (I am guessing this was the freon) cause the ac is no longer cold. My question is can I recharge this myself by going to the local auto parts store and buying the freon or whatever they sell to recharge? Also where do I have to hook this up to, to get the ac blowing cold again? Summer is right around the corner here in Miami! Thanks

Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 AM

If you were able to reconnect the refrigerant line back as quickly then the best advice would be to go to a reputable a/c repair shop for the remainder of the work. If the a/c was working well prior to inadvertently releasing refrigerant then it will be easy for the a/c tech to bring it back into operation. The main reason I suggest turning to the a/c shop is that after you explain the mistake the refilling of lost refrigerant won't take place unless and until they are assured that there isn't any leak by evacuating the entire system and verifying that a complete vacuum exists using a/c gauges. Once a vacuum exists and atmospheric pressure can't enter the system the required volume of refrigerant will be charged into the system and the a/c checked for cooling. This procedure is the best way to verify that in addition to checking that the fitting was tightened (the one you loosened) that the rest of your a/c system isn't hiding any leaks that would prevent proper a/c operation.