General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

200 K Milestone--What now to expect?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

I just found this forum only 4 days ago. Wish I'd found it sooner. 205 K, which is 55K more than I've had any other vehicle. Been reading through most of the "S-series" and "General Tech" pages. A couple issues a couple of you have mentioned concern me. Let me first give you a summary of where I'm at: 95 SL2, 1.9L DOHC, 5-spd manual, no modifications, Florida-only car, originally purchased Nov 94. I'm the second owner, bought in spring of 99 at 58 K. First owner had made all his service visits to Saturn and I have the print-out of all work when he had it. Genl maintenance: LOF always about 3,500 never more than 3,800, filters, pcv, plugs, fluids, all regular kept up. Fixes that I've done(or had done since I've had it): Batteries(3), Alternator(twice), electric radiator fan(twice), compressor, H2O pump, shift-linkage (custom home-engineered fix), parking-brake handle, radiator, blower moter. Just had clutch replaced including new Combo Master/Slave Hydr-assembly. Things i've never done or replaced: Thermostat, EGR, Fuel Pump, exhaust, Temp sensor/sender. A couple of the things i've noticed that concern me: Timing Chain?, that Differential pin which Low-Saturn mentions? I used to use Marvel Mystery Oil in other vehicles; i've bs-d over the years with some Saturn mechs and think I remember it was one of those who said just stick with a name 10W-30, don't use MMO. I'm hearing the S-belt beginning to 'sing' so i'm ready to replace that(again).

What are the issues those of you who have been past 200K or 12 years with these vehicles have experienced that I should be concerned about? Should I have the T-chain replaced (at my convenience) rather than wait?...will it give a warning? What else? Thanks, mike in florida (mgwiz@tampabay.rr.comEdited by: sw2cam

Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Sounds like a really clean car. I have 185k miles on my 95 SL2 right now and so far i havnt had any major issues. Im not sure on the t-chain replacement intervals. I think i remember reading every 100k but im not curtian

Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned

Hey thanks Engineer:
since i posted this i''ve found another forum w/ more members and spoke w/ a Saturn dealership ''service-advisor.''
There isn''t really a rec''d service interval for that T-chain. The common idea is that if you''re good w/ oil change schedule, don''t mess w/ additives which thicken the oil, then one really doesn''t have to be concerned until about 250 K miles, but that it will also audibly let you know it''s ready to be replaced. Probably prudent to keep the S-belt current if any ''singing'' is heard from that area....
"Clean car" you said?... that''s funny. What''s ''clean'' is the stuff that''s all been replaced, Alt, Rad, Compressor, blower moter, H20 pump, Clutch Hydr-assbly, etc, etc,.
take care, mike