Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   1999 Saturn Radiator (Help) (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/1999-saturn-radiator-help-9792/)

chuxk79 12-06-2014 02:14 PM

1999 Saturn Radiator (Help)

I just replaced my fan motor on my 99 Saturn.When putting It bk Together I messed up and put in a long bolt and punctured the Plastic tank on the drivers side radiator plastic tank. I epoxyed it and it sealed but now my radiator fluid is creamy pink as well as my tranny fluid. Could I have compromised the radiator fluid and tranny cooling line inside the radiator tank. I hope someone knows as I'm baffled. Thanks Chuck

sw2cam 12-06-2014 10:03 PM

Replace radiator, flush cooling system. Flush tranny. Not sure what's so baffling about it.

Rubehayseed 12-07-2014 07:51 AM

Yep, you effed up the fluid. Like Joe said, you need to flush and fill it until it's red again. Change the filter too, just in case you didn't get the implication. If not, you're going to have a trans failure before too long.

chuxk79 12-07-2014 07:36 PM

99 saturn radiator

Thanks I know I effed up but I couldn't understand how the 2 fluids mixed.I thought I just had a puncture in the tank which I sealed up. Thanks for the advice I will ck with a local shop to see how much they chrg to flush the system cause this car only has 71000 miles on it and I use it to save on gas and not drive my Tundra all the time. Saturns are good cars if you don't do what I did to mine. Thanks again

sw2cam 12-07-2014 08:13 PM

The tranny cooler is inside of the radiator. That's the way it is and has been on all car's for years, and years, and years. Do I need to add a few more years?

Rubehayseed 12-08-2014 08:33 AM

What Joe said. That's how they cool the transmission fluid.

derf 12-08-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by sw2cam (Post 45845)
Replace radiator, flush cooling system. Flush tranny.

MUST do BOTH

chuxk79 12-08-2014 05:49 PM

OK guys I get it. I barely punctured the plastic tank and when I did only coolant came out when I backed the bolt out that's why I was (Baffled) there must have been a transmission cooler tube very close to the puncture point. Anyway that said the local garage wants 500.00 to replace the radiator and has the proper equipment to pump flush the transmission and engine. The car was towed behind a motorhome by the previous owner and has low miles so it's worth repairing.

derf 12-08-2014 07:19 PM

That's ALOT if you ask me.

Radiator is maybe 125-150 tops
350 for labor of radiator and two flushes? I call BS.

Shop around unless this is your regular mechanic and you trust he's not ripping you off -- and has not in the past.

chuxk79 12-09-2014 08:49 AM

Thanks again guys, yea I was thinking about buying a radiator online they are only about 70.00 then ill put it in and tow the car to a shop and have the trans and engine flushed. The shop I talked to said they wont install someones elses parts. It's all about makin money off of parts.I'll keep you posted.