Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   1996 Saturn SL (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/1996-saturn-sl-9578/)

Chris77 06-19-2014 09:04 PM

1996 Saturn SL

Brake light warning on dashboard is lit up. The brakes don't make any squeaking noises, doesn't feel weird and there is no warning sound/beeps. Do I just need to add brake fluid (and if so what kind?). . . . or do I need to take my car to a repair shop? I am the origianl owner of this car since 1996 and have taken very good care of it so I am at a loss on what to do. Being a female I am hesitant to just take to a repair shop because all they see is a dumb clueless woman with dollar signs in Their Eyes! Oiy-vay! Truth. :(

sw2cam 06-19-2014 09:08 PM

Guess it's time to start learning. Open the hood and look, if it's low on fluid add some. What kind of brake fluid you ask, it says right on the cap. If you have the owners manual, read it.

Chris77 06-19-2014 09:13 PM

thank you

okee dokee. just asking :) but thank you for your quick and kind answer :)

Rubehayseed 06-19-2014 10:30 PM

DOT 3 brake fluid. You can get it at your local Walmart. No need to go to an auto parts store and pay twice the price. If you have a boyfriend or husband or brother that doesn't mind looking under the car, have him look at the back side of each tire and see if there's any fluid on it. If so, you may have a leak, if not, then probably just need to add some fluid.

Chris77 06-20-2014 08:14 AM

Thank you!!!

:) I have absolutely no one, no one to help me at all. That is why I am reaching out to people on this site. But I will check it out like you said. Thank you so much :) <3

Rubehayseed 06-20-2014 06:48 PM

You are welcome. Please post back and let us know if that's all you needed or you need more help.

derf 06-20-2014 10:52 PM

not at all trying to be insulting but are you sure the emergency brake lever is all the way down (nothing blocking its travel.}?

I've occasionally gotten stuff wedged under there and if the lever is not completely down the brake warning light will stay on.

Chris77 06-21-2014 06:54 AM

Thank you :).....

most definitely checked out the emergency brake first thing and i was not insulted that you mentioned that at all :) I had to get my oil changed anyway so the oil change place said the brake fluid was just a teeny bit low and that means my brakes are using more fluid because the brakes need repair, etc., they checked my front brakes (they were fine) and the back brakes are drums (so a visual check was not possible) so after the oil change and a teeny dab of brake fluid the light has not come back on. They said sometimes? the wire thingy attached to brake light stuff (sorry, not very techy but I got the jist) might get a little loose and make the light come on? I will keep an eye on it for sure. I truly appreciate all the responses I have gotten, really I do :) Thank you! :):):)

Rubehayseed 06-21-2014 08:02 AM

All righty then! Another satisfied new member, for now!