General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Saturnstuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Default Saturnstuck

I had the 03 Saturn Vue I'm not sure if it's a 2.2 or 2.3 but it is a 4-cylinder with a 5-speed manual transmission I tried to recharge my air conditioner with the freon and it didn't take any Freon there's compression in the line but my air conditioner blows hot any ideas

Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing. If you are not familiar with automotive a/c units and how they operate, you can do more damage and cost yourself a LOT more money in the long run, than by just taking it to a shop.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Default Help!!!

I am a single mother of two working to barely even survive that's why I got on this website to possibly see if somebody somewhere to give me something to fix it possibly cuz I don't have the money to go to a mechanic

Old 05-24-2018, 04:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I have to support my wife and daughter on my disability income, so have to do 99% of all of my own stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the a/c systems on cars to be of help to you. Maybe derf or Andy will be able to help you out. I sure hope you get it fixed.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

This ALL assumes your compressor is operational(should help diagnose if it's not) and your AC relay is good.

The vehicle has an AC Hi/lo pressure cutoff pressure switch to protect the AC compressor from getting damaged in either of those situations.
You are likely below the pressure required to let the compressor run. IF that is the case, you cannot feed refrigerant into the system because there is no "suction" to pull the refrigerant into the system.

The cans you buy at the autoparts strores often come with a pressure gauge on it I like the tall silver ones at autozone with the longer output hose --easier to work with.

Goal:
Pressure reading - outside temperature (approximate but works)

1) Turn the ac on high in the car (keep car running)
2) Locate the Hi/lo pressure cutoff pressure switch. It will be in a thin metal line, usually sticking straight up, with a two wire connection. The line it is inserted in eventually leads back to the AC compressor. They are usually along the side fenders or in the front, up high.
3) Remove the black cap from the smaller of the two AC line ports. This is referred to as the low side port or suction port.
4) Look on the sticker across the front crossmember of the vehicle to see how many OZ you need to fill the system. It's ok if your can is less. If it is more, you will need to be careful not to overfill.
5) SECURELY attach the hose end of the gauge on the port. It may hiss while attaching it. Do not be afraid. get it snug so there is no hissing.

OK now for the fun part. Just stay calm and you'll be fine. The next two steps need to been done quickly so you are not running your AC compressor with nothing in the system for very long.

5.5) Take a paperclip and rig a setup so that you can short the TERMINALS on the hi/lo pressure switch. This will make the car think the pressure is ok and will let the compressor run. This setup needs to be stable enough to stay connected for about 2 minutes, till the system reaches the min pressure, then you can return the connector to the pressure switch. The cooling fans by the radiators will likely turn on when that happens, so don't get freaked out and drop the can into them.

6) With the paperclip in place, Invert the can several times.
6.5)Turn the T bar at the top of the can CLOCKWISE to puncture the seal of the can.
NOTHING is EXITING THE CAN YET. The pin is filling the hole in the can.

7) SLOWLY turn the T bar COUNTERCLOCKWISE. As you do, the pin is withdrawn from the whole in the can and, WITH THE COMPRESSOR RUNNING, the refrigerant will begin to get sucked into the AC port. It is fine to twist the T pin 90% out. I've had one come completely off in my life and it was not pleasant

8) Constantly invert the refrigerant can as the system fills. KEEP AN EYE ON THE PRESSURE READING. Remember, you are shooting for outside temp The needle will bounce when you invert the can, Ignore that, Read the gauge when the can is upright. When you've reached the pressure need or the can is empty, CLOSE the T HANDLE LEAVE THE GAUGE HOSE CONECTED.. Note the pressure reading.

9) Check that your vents are now blowing cold air. IF they are not, quadruple check the AC is engaged. I have personally screwed that up.
Also, if you have not reached the full volume of the AC system as listed on the sticker, you also have probably not reached the desired pressure either.

10) If you are done, disconnect the end of the hose from the port. There may be pressure in the hose or a short hiss from the port -- totally normal.
------------------------
What is NOT totally normal is after removing the hose, there is a constant hissing at the port where you just added refrigerant. This means that the valve innards will need to be replaced. Cheap and easy. Just a pain. Get both Hi and Lo sides done at the same time so that if someone ever hooks up professional gauges, the hi side will not start leaking when they finish. This is a common casualty because the valves haven't moved in 10 15 20 years and are gummed up on the inside
---------------------
11) If you are adding more refrigerant, leave the hose connected to the port and buy a smaller can with no gauge.
The key to using these safely is that when you get back to the car, before doing anything else, ROTATE THE T BAR COUNTERCLOCKWISE TO PULL THE PIN UP AS FAR AS IT WILL GO.
It becomes exceptionally exciting if you forget, as you are then screwing the can on and puncturing it at the same time. NOT GOOD if you like the skin on your hands.

12) Screw the can onto the free end of the hose, making sure it is tight.

13) Repeat steps 6.5 to 10 until you reach the final pressure. If the can you are using is NOT empty, simply turn the T bar clockwise and the pin will go back into the can, sealing it. Just leave it that way until next needed.

Enjoy the cold air.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Default Help!!!

Thank you so much I'm gonna see if that does it in the morning and ill let you know either way