Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   07 clutch (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/07-clutch-11234/)

freemancomputer 03-18-2018 06:44 PM

07 clutch

Hello all. The first week of April I will be putting a new clutch in my 07 Ion 2. From what I can tell it looks like the sub frame needs to come out. Other than that is there anything else that I should know before I get started? I have watched a few videos and gone through my Haynes book a few times. Trying to make it go as quick and painless as I can. Thank you.

02 LW300 03-18-2018 07:51 PM

Welcome! You need to support the engine from above if you drop the cradle. I purchased a tool that sits on the fender lips and supports the engine/trans assembly so you can remove the trans mounts then the trans. I remove the complete strut on the side of the car the trans is on for access. The lower control arms come out with the cradle on my car as well as the sway bar. Leave the rack in the car, just unbolt it from the cradle.

freemancomputer 03-18-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 59159)
Welcome! You need to support the engine from above if you drop the cradle. I purchased a tool that sits on the fender lips and supports the engine/trans assembly so you can remove the trans mounts then the trans. I remove the complete strut on the side of the car the trans is on for access. The lower control arms come out with the cradle on my car as well as the sway bar. Leave the rack in the car, just unbolt it from the cradle.

Thanks for the tips. I replaced the clutch in my Focus a few months ago and built a derrick with an I beam that I found on the side of the road. Used that with a 1 ton hoist to hold the motor up, plan on doing the same for the Ion.

With the rack do I need to tie it off or will it just hang?

02 LW300 03-19-2018 09:43 AM

It might need a bungie on the passenger side. Two hoses and the column on the drivers side. It should be quite similar to your Focus.

freemancomputer 03-19-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 59164)
It might need a bungie on the passenger side. Two hoses and the column on the drivers side. It should be quite similar to your Focus.

Thanks, The Focus was a very tight fit. Took me almost 3 hours to get the trans back in due to space. Hoping this goes a lot quicker. One last question, what type of fluid do I need for the Ion? The Focus took some very expensive fluid.

02 LW300 03-19-2018 04:16 PM

It is a Getrag f23 transmission, it takes expensive oil also.

freemancomputer 03-20-2018 10:35 AM

Thought of a few more questions, part of the reason I started this a few week ahead of time. The output shaft seal's should I just go ahead a replace them while the trans is out? What about the clutch master?

freemancomputer 04-08-2018 07:09 PM

So I just replaced the clutch, slave and master. Got everything back together today and it will not shift into gear. There is great pressure when pushing in the clutch. When the car is off I can run through all the gears with no problem same if the car is running and the clutch is pressed. If I put it in gear and let off the clutch it makes some rubbing noise, see link below. When I turn it off it makes a noise as well, see 2nd link.

02 LW300 04-08-2018 07:47 PM

We’ll have bonestock listen to that.

freemancomputer 04-09-2018 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 59328)
We’ll have bonestock listen to that.

Figured it out, the passenger side CV joint was broken. Must of bent it to far when I was installing. Thanks for the help.