General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

01 SC2 Cranks but won’t start

Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi guys, I hope this is the right spot for this post.
My wife's '01 SC2 started acting up a bit yesterday. When it is hot, if it sits for an hour or two it will crank and crank before it starts, but if it sits overnight and cools off completely, it will start without a problem. When it starts after cranking, it runs roughly for a bit then straightens out... I talked to a mechanic that is a friend of mine who knows chevy's inside and out but isn't terribly familiar with Saturns. He made 2 recommendations - temperature sensor and fuel regulator. He said to check the fuel regulator first by checking the vacuum line for moisture when it won't start, but from what I can tell by searching online the fuel regulator is part of the fuel filter under the car on this model and it doesn't seem like there is a convenient way to check it. I also don't have particularly easy access to means of getting the codes from it to see if its a sensor or what. Add to this that today (problems started yesterday), I went to start it and let it warm up to see if I could get it to repeat the problem, but when I went back out to shut it off, it had shut off on its own at some point. When I re-started it it seemed to run a bit rough for a few seconds, but straightened out and idled fine and the temp gage indicated it was up to normal temperature (I'm currently waiting for it to cool a bit to try starting it again).As an extra bit of background knowledge to add, the car sat for a few months while I had another motor put in bec. the old one lost oil pressure and locked up. The engine I put in had been sitting for about a year in a garage, and I put it in about 20,000 miles ago and this is the first problem.Any ideas/suggestions?? Thanks!!Edited by: sw2cam

Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Ok, now the car won't start at all, even after leaving it sit overnight, it still won't start - it cranks and acts like it wants to start every once in a while, but it won't start.

?????????????????????????

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

My first guess is the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor)

Also, does it get fuel and spark? When it did run, did the Service Engine light come on?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM

Do you know how to check for spark? If so, do it - I bet you dont have any spark.

Once you done with that, and find no spark, replace the CkPS (crank position sensor).

Have you scanned it for any codes? (if you have access data scanner). If you have access, you can watch the RPM off the CkPS and if its zero, you will know its bad.

Keep me posted.

EricEdited by: sw2cam

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Thats for the input guys. I had a mechanic stop by tonight with his scanner and it didn't register any codes or anything. Also, as of last night, the car now starts and runs fine again. ?????????? Last night, I tried starting it and it started once or twice, then wouldn't start again, so I held the gas pedal to the floor and tried it again, and it fired up, and its been starting and running fine ever since. The mechanic that was out today thinks it is a clogged fuel filter, which I already have a replacement (almost 100,000 miles on the car and I haven't replaced it yet) and plan to replace it this week...

Thanks again for any ideas you can offer!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM

You need to check your idle air control valve it could be full of carbon
build-up if so clean it with some carb cleaner or something like that. I think
that with fix your problem if you don`t have any code issues.

Edited by: 97'SL2

Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by imp81318
.... so I held the gas pedal to the floor and tried it again, and it fired up
Doing this puts it in "clear flood mode". Basically shuts off the injectors.

Have your friend with the scanner monitor engine temperature.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks again for the replies guys. I changed the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago and haven't had a problem since, so I think that was the culprit.