Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/engine-internal-16/)
-   -   Rebuild help needed (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/engine-internal-16/rebuild-help-needed-2320/)

LASER3KW 07-28-2008 12:08 PM

Greetings to all

I am buying my first Saturn. It is a ''''''''99 with the 1.9 DOHC and a manual trans. I found one answer to the question "can you lift the motor out of the engine bay" so that is a plus already!

The motor has a knock in it and I suspect a rod. I am going to pull the motor and to a through rebuild. I am a vetern gear head and have access to all the equipment and/or the people to do quality work. Is there a "master engine kit" available that is good quality. I saw one on Ebay, but it looks a little cheap. i will replace what ever is needed and then some just to be safe. This car will be my commutor car and I rather rebuild and have confidance that the motor is good. The rebuild will also include new sensors and a clutch,

Any other advice? What is the best manual to get for reference?Edited by: LASER3KW

TheEngineer 07-29-2008 08:34 PM

i would start by dropping the oil pan to see if you in fact have a problem with the internals of the engine, but thats just me. You can check your bearing tolerances from there and also drop the crank if you needed to. Also i would check the timing. It may be that its off and your valves are knocking against the pistons. Have you tried a compression test at all?

Low Saturn 08-01-2008 10:59 AM

There are no master engine kits. I get parts from different sources when I rebuild engines. You get better parts that way too.

As for manuals, the Factory Service manuals are the best. Anything else is just fancy toilet paper with writing on it.

LASER3KW 08-01-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The noise comes from the left front of the motor near the bottom. I am preparing for the worse. I will open it up and determine what is needed. But the car lot is sneaking the price up. It started out at less than $1500, then it was $1550, now it''''s $1650 PLUS tax title and doc. HA! I think not. I can buy a running ''''99 for $200 and not do anything to it! We''''ll see - I am going to give it one more shot tonight.

I did find one source for master kit. It''''s Ron''''s Performance machine, But it'''' $950 for everything except cam and crank. Good parts, Seal Pro piston and rings, Federal mogal ect.

PS why can''t I responde to this post from home but I can from work?Edited by: LASER3KW

MINICooperS 02-26-2009 08:58 PM

Laser,
Just saw your post. If possible can you post pics of your old main and rod bearings and approx mileage on them?

OceanArcher 02-26-2009 09:09 PM

LASER3KW ...

Simple answer - you logged on originally from work, but have not done so from home ...