Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/engine-internal-16/)
-   -   1999 SW2 Bad Engine (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/engine-internal-16/1999-sw2-bad-engine-2224/)

JAFO1 06-26-2008 09:31 PM

Howdy!

I''m new to Saturns and this forum. I have a chance to get a 1999 SW2 for cheap. I started the engine and it had a LOUD knocking and some smoke. My question is this, should I try to rebuild, or just replace with a junk yard engine. I have never done either, but am not scared to try.

Also, I checked the plugs and the only problem was age wear, no sign of the piston hitting the plug.

Thanks!

Kenny

sw2cam 06-27-2008 07:43 PM

I don''t know what you should do. I don''t know what your able to do. I don''t know what the engine noise is.

JAFO1 06-28-2008 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
I don''''''''t know what you should do. I don''''''''t know what your able to do. I don''''''''t know what the engine noise is.

OK, Probably a fair response.

Sounds like a rod is knocking, but I''''m not sure. I am sure that something is not right.

So,my question is, all thing considered,is this little engine worth rebuilding or just replace it.Edited by: JAFO1

sw2cam 06-28-2008 08:55 AM

You''ll need to open the engine up to find out if it''s rebuildable. If your asking if these engines take to being rebuilt, the answer is yes.

IVI4ssacre 06-28-2008 06:29 PM

it would be easier and cheaper to r&r engine.

hoolu 07-09-2008 08:19 PM

Howdy,</span><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 51, 51);"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 51, 51);">My storys a bit similar. However since my son is at work his oldman is picking up the pieces here. He''s got an SL2 1999. Real decent car. It had 65k on the engine until he let the dang thing run out of oil - still can''t believe it! Heart breaker but he''s still my best bud. Anyway... another bud (who does this for a living) scoped it out... said: "it''s shot". We''d like to find a reconditioned or a junkyard motor with lower miles obviously. So... I poked around the net and found a few sites than it dawned on me... perhaps others like myself like their Saturns too and probably some one may know of a place we can pick up a new or used motor or have done so themselves and can recommend a place (?). So... thats the BIG Q''. A decent clue or have had the same experience and found a reputable place to trade a resonable amount of loot for a motor? We are down to 91'' Dodge Dakota that drinks gas like a jumbo jet! Incredible. Anyhow... thanks for taking the time to check out this post and have a great day/evening as the case may be.</span><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 51, 51);"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 51, 51);">Hoolu</span>