Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here...

Seat Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Default Seat Covers?

Just checking in for any quick thoughts short of taking seats out. I would love to hear ppl's ideas/recommendations about seat covers. Or is it not worth it. Thanks in advance. Hopefully I'll be able to help some time and not just ask a ton of questions.

Attached Thumbnails Seat Covers?-20160218_150611.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 PM

i put seat covers in my sl2 because i was trying to keep the seats clean. a set of covers from pepboys or other parts stores or walmart will do the job but if you can find ones fitted for your seats they will look much better and need less fidgeting to keep them looking right. If they do not have fitted covers I would highly recommend the wetsuit skin style, tighter fitting and should keep stains from soaking thru. the ones my brother had the water beaded right off. if you dont want to out covers over those you could pull the seat out and see if you can pull back the slack/stretches from the backside. easier on the bottom, on the seatback you may beable to pull off the cover (so that its flipped inside out, makes reinstallation alot easier than trying to slide it back on) and remold the side bolsters with foam cut to angles and glued on (if its compressed/missing). that would pull out the slack but if your not careful it could create an uneven feeling. Otherwise take the seat out and brng it to a re-upholsterer, or go find yourself some nice redline seats out of a wreck.

dont worry, it will all come with experience. most of the time I make educated guesses lol

Last edited by Octavious; 02-20-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

most of the time I make mistakes.

The only answers I post here are the results from fixing my mistake's mistakes.

I usually wait a week or so just to ensure things don't stop running or suspension parts don 't fall off.

Oh and "extra "parts are bad. When you reassemble something, make sure there are no parts left over

Per Ocvtavious, it's the hands-on experience that gives you the feel for the tools, the feel for too much torque vs not enough (that's why they make torque wrenches), and helps you develop the problem solving ad and analytical thinking skills to solve issues or at least narrow them down the frw most probable ones --- rather than shotgunning the entire ignition sys for $250 when the issue was your ects or front 02.

The more toy watch the more you understand
The more YOU DO, the more you learn

All in good time.....

Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 AM

The seats come out fairly easily. I'd go to the junkyard and see if I could find some seats with good covers and just buy the seats and replace the whole thing. If not, then remove the seat covers in the junkyard and see how much they are!

Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

There are some cows down the road......I have a vegetable peeler....maybe I said too much. I'll go along with what they said.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 AM

I'm pretty sure that I won't replace the seats totally, at least not right now anyway. I will check around to see if I can find some good seats, though. I was just curious to see if anyone had a specific product/brand that they liked to cover em up and still get a decent fit. The place where I got the car from may have some ideas as well. Thanks everyone for the info. I will keep digging...