Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

Hooking up neons

Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 AM

I recently bought this box that senses the volume of the sound and makes a neon light flash to the beat of the music. What I wanted to do was attach more lights to that box and have them spread throughout the car. It''s supposed to plug in the cigarette lighter, but I wanted to cut the plug off and tie it to the back of the cigarette lighter. How would I go about removing the lighter, or is there a better place to attach this to? I have a 98 SL2.

Thanks alot
________
Coach handbags

Last edited by alex_0227; 04-01-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Banned

Where to connect this ''lighting display'' is dependent on how much current it will draw AFTER you modify it with these additional lights. It might be best totemporarily installall the additional lights on a test panel somewhere, then measure the current draw when it is in operation. The numbers might suprise you ....

Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM

I thought someone was bringing up an old post until I saw that the original was posted today. People really buy that stuff still?

But then agian Christmas is coming, your interior should be festive.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:02 AM

So far two of the three neons work, i have them connected to the device that senses the volume of the music, which then plugs into the cig liter. I also bought a 5ft neon wire, which i planned to put around the console, it works when i plug it into the liter. I cut off the plug and stripped the wires. It doesn''t work when connected to the other neons, but DOES work when i attach it straight to the battery. Is it not getting enough power? If the amount of power is an issue, where would i connect the rig?
________
AMATEUR BRITISH

Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Banned

It might be best to run a dedicated wire from the battery (through a fuse) and then directly to your light package. That way, you would be sure to get enough power, and when/if you ever decided to sell the car, you could easily disconnect/remove your expensive light setup and transfer it to your new ride. Use 14 ga stranded wire.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
It might be best to run a dedicated wire from the battery (through a fuse) and then directly to your light package. That way, you would be sure to get enough power, and when/if you ever decided to sell the car, you could easily disconnect/remove your expensive light setup and transfer it to your new ride. Use 14 ga stranded wire.

how would i go through the fire wall?
________
Pov Japanese

Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Banned

Well ...

In the past, when I have had to run new/additional wiring, I usually went to the driver side of the vehicle, and utilized the existing penetration. What I do, is to take a large bamboo fondue skewer (not metal) and run it through the boot. Tape the wire securely to the other end of the skewer, and it works just like a large sewing needle ...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 PM

ok, so i''m going to run a wire from the + of the battery and attach the other end of the neon control box to the body. I wanna put an inline fuse into that wire, so how strong of a fuse do I need for 3-4 neons?
________
PUBLIC AMATEUR

Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

If you will look back to my first comment, I suggested that YOU take the time to measure the actual current draw of your lights before installing them or doing any wiring to your car. Have you done that, and if so, what were the resuts ???

Search this Thread