Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

Astra after market radio.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Default Astra after market radio.

Was doing some research and it seems it's difficult to put an after market head unit in the 08 Astras, does anyone know this to be true? Also, anyone know the speaker sizes in an 08 Astra ? Thanks

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Not really, hardest part is getting the old radio out most likely

Go to crutchfield.com, great prices on radios and instructions, dash inserts and wiring harness adaptor come free most of the time (with the purchase of a radio I think)
Due to the style of dash mount they have, you will have to get a double din radio, and when you go to selecting radios, choose double din from the side menu/filters
Heres a link straight to the car selector

Cant help you on speaker size, google is a wonderful invention though.

Last edited by Octavious; 11-01-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Octavious
Not really, hardest part is getting the old radio out most likely

Go to crutchfield.com, great prices on radios and instructions, dash inserts and wiring harness adaptor come free most of the time (with the purchase of a radio I think)
Due to the style of dash mount they have, you will have to get a double din radio, and when you go to selecting radios, choose double din from the side menu/filters
Heres a link straight to the car selector

Cant help you on speaker size, google is a wonderful invention though.
Thanks for the info, I figured I could find the sizes on google, but before I got waist deep in websites I thought I'd throw it out there and ask to see if anyone knew.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Aftermarket radio is going to be a bear because of the DIC and onstar. Crutchfield or others may have come up with a way around all of this. I would ask if the DIC and Onstar will operate after installation.

6.5" front
5.25" rear.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
Aftermarket radio is going to be a bear because of the DIC and onstar. Crutchfield or others may have come up with a way around all of this. I would ask if the DIC and Onstar will operate after installation.

6.5" front
5.25" rear.
Thank you very much for the information. I'll Check around about the on star and dic. Im kinda going crazy without a good sterio. I'm ready to get things rolling.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Well I got all the parts needed to install my radio and the rest of the system. I ordered the single din for my Astra from ritzcamera.com for like 24 dollars with shipping. Then it was a Easter egg hunt looking for the harness going from the factory plug to the after market plug. I found it local, and found the ant. Adapter at best buy. Also I think in the last post I was told that the speakers are 6.5 in the front and 5.25 in the rear. In my 2 door xr front and rear are both 6.5. So I have the speakers and subs and amp all ready to be put in, just trying to find time to do it! Can't wait to have a system again.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 08astraxr
Then it was a Easter egg hunt looking for the harness going from the factory plug to the after market plug. I found it local, and found the ant. Adapter at best buy.
Would it be possible to get the name of the harness/plug?!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by AstraDog
Would it be possible to get the name of the harness/plug?!
The part number is ewh-1010. I had a hard time trying to find it local. Might be easier to order in on-line.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 PM

In the for what it is worth department I have been ordering parts on line from these people:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/
They run sales on very good equipment every so often. I am using hardware to install upgraded acoustics in a car I am building and upgrading one I built 12 years ago and am satisfied with value received vs. money spent.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 AM

AstraDog: it's good to have another Astra owner on site. We hope you stick around and do some posting. If you plan on using this site stop in the new member area and introduce yourself.