Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Symptoms of bad fuel pump????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Default Symptoms of bad fuel pump????

HEY guys,

i have an sl2, with 70, 98'....and lately mayb 2 months now, when the car warms up, ten minutes or so of drivin around .a whistlin-slighty hi pitched sound emerges from rear driverside. not comin from the exhaust.

it happens in park or drivin. but usually takes 5-10 mins for the car to warm up and the sound appears.

if we hit the gas the sound does not increase in volume. the sound also isnot coming from the gas cap area, but underneath rear tire almost near the lower gas tank.....

were stumped, we were told by a friend it mayb a fuel pump bearin?duz tha t make sense bc it drives fine. what can it b????

rather fix it now than be stranded.

any suggestions would b appreciated???
thanks guys!!!!

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-20-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM

When you say with 70, i assume that means 70K miles on it?
Check your fuel filter, that is in the same area. It regulates pressure so that might have something to do with it.

If not, try pulling the fuse for the pump when you hear it, that might beable to point you in the right direction.
Just make sure your pulling the right fuse.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

I know you said the sound is not coming from the gas cap area, but humor me on this for a minute. Get off somewhere that you can hear the 'whistle', then leave the engine running and take the gas cap off. Let us know whether the sounds goes away or not, please?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Red face

yes 70k

if i pull a fuel relay or fuse?? but if i do wont the fuel pump stop workin anyway and the car stalls i guess?

i see what ur sayin if i pull either one of them and the noise stops and the car keeps running then it could be relay or fuse or pump for sure? bit confused there please elaborate.

i changed the filter 10k, ago, it def. doesnt sound from there, why wouldnt the sound occur the minute it starts rather than ten minutes of warmin up, could it be cat converter?????thats under the rear part of the car?

yes, i ddnt take the cap off when checkin, but i will get it to warmup and make the sound and remove cap when car is on to see if its louder when i put my ear to it......what will that prove???

elt me know thanks!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM

If you warm it up and remove the gas cap and the sound goes away, it means that you have a defective seal on the gas cap and either need a new one or the seal on the filler tube is leaking.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM

i havent check the gas cap yet, but the sound is def. comin from under the car, not near the fuel filter or gas cap but will try......can it be a fuel pump bearin is what i asked???? or bad cats?????

whatother tests can I perform? tks!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Won't know what other tests to suggest, until you do the one I've already suggested .......

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM

ok....but was thinkin we jack up the car and we go under the car to pin point the car sound, is it safe and a good test???? i am goin to pull the fuel relay or fuse, not shure what to expect from that test, what am i lookin for?

GUYS,what if it is comin from the fuel tank , then its the fuel pump then????rite....shld i change it right away? or is that a common noise?

letmeknw tks?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Who the hell knows what she means, with the english being used.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

I'm still trying to get her to start the car, get the whistle going, and then pull the gas cap. She's like totally resisting my suggestion, and is trying to fly off in six different directions at once. (SIGH) If I could just get my question answered......

Quick Reply: Symptoms of bad fuel pump????