2003 L200 Wanting to boost HP & MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Default 2003 L200 Wanting to boost HP & MPG

Hi, I have a 2003 L200 with the 2.2 EcoTec and I am wanting to put on and aftermarket intake MANIFOLD, and header with catback exhaust, also I would like to find a larger throttle body to bolt up too. Any help would be nice. I don't know if Cobalt 2.2 parts would fit, but I can't find any Saturn specific performance parts.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Well there, welcome to an eclectic group of automotive misfits. If per chance I was interested in doing something with the package you are driving here is where I would start;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_L-Series
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine
The Saturn as a brand never became popular and to the best of my knowledge aftermarket never flourished on supplying parts for anything with that name badged on it anywhere.
Except for early models and those parts have disappeared off the market. And as i personally have no interest in owning and modifying anything with 4 doors my interest is zero.
However I have modified enough less than popular motors to know that to be serious about dealing with off brands is to get serious on finding out what fits and what will actually interface with other parts on the car and actually work and function in a desirable manner.
I have no idea whether anything from a Cobalt will work on your Saturn but I am under the impression that some of the Hot Cobalt stuff was also available on an Ion. Whether that is valid data or not don't know. But if it fits? The next question is will it work with your present engine management computer. The solution than becomes one of electronics. How will the engine run with current configuration or even will it.
Again dunno.
Junk yards are full of well intentioned garage modifications that became unexpectedly expensive trying to do those type of things with a complete lack of knowledge as to how to go about it.
But generally with enough money, those problems are solved. My most recent project is using take off parts from upgrading a Mustang Cobra to Superstang Configuration. To the owner of the Mustang? Figure the cost of the car and then add the cost again to have it superstanged.
To me? Next to nothing. I got the parts cheap, used what I could and sold the rest which covered buying parts I could use along with parts for a 3rd persons project. I did not make anything from it, but did cover a lot of expenses.
Good luck, hope something helps you out!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

Welcome to the Forum .............

Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
Well there, welcome to an eclectic group of automotive misfits. If per chance I was interested in doing something with the package you are driving here is where I would start;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_L-Series
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine
The Saturn as a brand never became popular and to the best of my knowledge aftermarket never flourished on supplying parts for anything with that name badged on it anywhere.
Except for early models and those parts have disappeared off the market. And as i personally have no interest in owning and modifying anything with 4 doors my interest is zero.
However I have modified enough less than popular motors to know that to be serious about dealing with off brands is to get serious on finding out what fits and what will actually interface with other parts on the car and actually work and function in a desirable manner.
I have no idea whether anything from a Cobalt will work on your Saturn but I am under the impression that some of the Hot Cobalt stuff was also available on an Ion. Whether that is valid data or not don't know. But if it fits? The next question is will it work with your present engine management computer. The solution than becomes one of electronics. How will the engine run with current configuration or even will it.
Again dunno.
Junk yards are full of well intentioned garage modifications that became unexpectedly expensive trying to do those type of things with a complete lack of knowledge as to how to go about it.
But generally with enough money, those problems are solved. My most recent project is using take off parts from upgrading a Mustang Cobra to Superstang Configuration. To the owner of the Mustang? Figure the cost of the car and then add the cost again to have it superstanged.
To me? Next to nothing. I got the parts cheap, used what I could and sold the rest which covered buying parts I could use along with parts for a 3rd persons project. I did not make anything from it, but did cover a lot of expenses.
Good luck, hope something helps you out!
So what I gather, the engine is the first gen L61, has very low horsepower, and even less cubes. It was used in many cars, not just GM. Thank you. Any websites you found that arent wikipedia and have parts I'm looking for?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Cobalt carry over parts to a L series? Nothing that I know of.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheMechanic
So what I gather, the engine is the first gen L61, has very low horsepower, and even less cubes. It was used in many cars, not just GM. Thank you. Any websites you found that arent wikipedia and have parts I'm looking for?
No, Sorry, I have not looked. I don't have anything that uses that engine. But once you find out what it is you have then you can start looking for specific things and see what comes up. Now if your assumption is correct as stated, first all of the applications mentioned are GM and/or GM subsidiary companies. Many of them are brands not imported into the US but some are imported into Canada.
So parts and information is probably limited.
Depending on your budget (keep in mind if you have to ask how fast you want to go you probably can not afford it) this statement if true;
The 2002 Saturn VUE was the first North American variant of the L61 to be equipped with electronic throttle control, whereas other applications did not arise until 2005 in the Saturn ION and Chevrolet Cobalt. The supercharger and inlet manifold from the 2.0 Ecotec engine can be purchased as an official kit from GM and along with modified software in the ECM, can create a 2.2 supercharged version of this engine.
Unquote
may be a rare but cost effective approach.
Only you can determine if it is a practical approach for you, I would not know but this one sure tweaks my interest as being possibly cost effective.
But then again at what cost.
I once spent about 3 grand for a turn key fuel injection conversion and then spent the next 4 years getting it to run correctly. It did run when I installed it, but it did not run worth a damn. And it took me 4 years to figure out why and during that time I questioned the logic of spending 3 grand on something that was not worth it. At the time.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM

First, aftermarket and Saturn are not two words that go together well. Second so few people have ever done mods to a Saturn L Series it's going to be tough to find any information and what fits what or interchanges. Bore the TB youself and build yourself a CAI. Not sure if you'll find a header to fit into the car and bolt to the engine so maybe have a local shop bend a catback for you. Other then that you need to keep searching the internet and Saturn forums.

Last edited by RjION; 12-18-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 AM

Again assuming the following is valid:
SNIP
So what I gather, the engine is the first gen L61,
Snip

Then carousing through data I have accumulated and assuming and unlimited budget the following information becomes fascinating.
GM Part number 88958619 is an Ecotec "Street" CNC-Ported cylinder head that fits the L61 2.2L engine only.
Along with that this part number:
88958648 is a performance cam shaft set with duration at .050 lift of .247 and .249 degrees on intake and exhaust and a lift of 0.499" which is pretty fair on 116 degree's lob centers.
On a push rod V8 a lobe center of around 111 degrees is a happy number for fuel injection applications. Dual overhead cams may be able to come up with different numbers to be happy. But it is a GM part number and GM part number 12499222 is a cylinder head installation kit with GM Part number 88958632 gets and exhaust manifold header flange to build a DIY header.
So again assuming that the engine is actually a GM Badge Engineered application L61 series motor it looks like stuff can be done to it and done well.

To me the neat part about finding this information was the cam shaft specifications and if need be and I get a bug about it I can probably call Iskenderian with these spec's and have them build me a pair of cam shafts for my 94 Saturn. It may cost some but I'd bet they'd be the ticket to the 15 additional hp I'd like to get out of it.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Sorry.............I forgot about the GM Ecotec parts cat. Can ya still get the parts I wonder.

Last edited by RjION; 12-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 L200 Wanting to boost HP & MPG