Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1992 SL2: still need motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM

This is my third post here in six hours. I have a 1992 SL2 that vibrates like a paint shaker at idle. I want to replace the motor mounts. I don''t know where to buy any online. Anybody know where to get decent priced aftermarket motor mounts?

The first two posts I put up today here already vanished. I have no idea why, I did searches for them and even for any post with my name. They showed up after I posted them, showed 3 "views" and when I came back a couple of hours later to check for replies, they were LOOOONNNGGGGGGG gone to the nether land.

So, since this one will probably vanish as well, I suppose I should say thank you and goodbye since this will be the last post on the topic.

I honestly was hoping to find out where to get some motor mounts but this forum acts like the stinking Bermuda Triangle where everything that goes in one end just disappears.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Hello there BountyHunter ...

I cannot speak for the previous postings, but this one IS</span></span> here for others to see.

With respect to after-market motor mounts - I personally have had uniform bad luck with them. Just might have been the luck of the draw, (three times) however my recommendation would be to spend the extra few dollars, and obtain OEM mounts.

Hope you have good luck getting your vehicle fixed ...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM

For the top engine mount and lower transmission, get OEM from the dealer, saturnparts.com or getsaturnparts.com.

Aftermarket mounts are garbage.

As for the lower engine and upper transmission dogbone mounts, aftermarket is OK. But those rarely fail.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, I guess the third time posted is the charm. I was looking for a site that had explosion drawings and Saturn part numbers with prices like they have for Kawasakis and other motorcycles so I could price the OEM units.

Interesting that the OEM motor mounts are better than aftermarket. Back when I bought my 1992 Saturn, the OEM mounts were crap and Saturn even replaced them under warranty one time as well as the valve guide seals because the motor was blowing oil. Maybe they improved their motor mounts.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 PM

First design Saturn OEM mounts were good. The updated design was garbage. This is what the aftermarket bases their designs on. The final OEM Saturn design is exactly the same as the first design.

The all fail eventually. Just the second design and aftermarket fail much faster.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM

I am totally confused: the service manual shows two engine mounts at the front, and a "left transaxle strut". But, when I searched for engine mounts, I got this:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top>Mount, saturn, engine mount - 1.9l, dohc - 1.9L, DOHC</TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top noWrap align=middle>92-02 </TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top align=right>$67.07</TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top align=right></TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top align=right>$46.68 </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #0000ff 4px double" colSpan=5>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=tabletext></TD>
<TD class=tabletext noWrap></TD>
<TD class=tabletext noWrap align=right> </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top>Mount, saturn, engine mount strut - 1.9l, dohc - 1.9L, DOHC</TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top noWrap align=middle>92-02 </TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top align=right>$105.76</TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top align=right></TD>
<TD class=tabletext style="BORDER-TOP: #0000ff 4px double" vAlign=top align=right>$76.15</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Is the first one the top engine mount and the second one the transaxle strut? BTW, when I searched for a transaxle strut on the parts site, it said no such part. Is the lower front engine mount not sold?Edited by: bountyhunter

Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM

There is the top mount which is on the top passenger side of the engine. This is what it looks like:

There are two "dog bone" mounts. One is an engine mount located on the lower passenger side of the engine. The other is a transmission mount on the upper forward drivers side of the transmission under that battery. These two are referred to as "struts" and are identical. They look like this:

The fourth and final mount it a transmission mount and is located on the drivers side under the end of the transmission. It looks like this:

Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Do yourself a favor go to your nearest SATURN "dealership" and get the mounts you need. You''ll get the correct ones at fair price.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
Do yourself a favor go to your nearest SATURN "dealership" and get the mounts you need. You''''''''ll get the correct ones at fair price.

Spoken like somebody who has never had to go to a member of the Lucas dealership group.

If you read my posts, you''''d realize I am also trying to figure out what mounts are used and which are likely to need to be replaced. I guarantee you if I walk into a dealer prior to knowing this information, all they will do is sell me everything in the vicinity. I don''''t want to drop $500 fixing a $400 car.

As for getting a "fair price" at any dealer.... are you serious? I have been a mechanic for about 40 years and I know what the profit margins are on dealer parts. I have also been wrenching this Saturn since the day we bought it new and the parts that I had to get from the dealer were as jacked up as anything a dealer sells. It''s no secret why aftermarket parts exist and why people try so hard to avoid buying parts from a dealer.Edited by: bountyhunter

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
There is the top mount which is on the top passenger side of the engine. This is what it looks like:

There are two "dog bone" mounts. One is an engine mount located on the lower passenger side of the engine. The other is a transmission mount on the upper forward drivers side of the transmission under that battery. These two are referred to as "struts" and are identical. They look like this:

The fourth and final mount it a transmission mount and is located on the drivers side under the end of the transmission. It looks like this:

Thanks a lot. That is a big help. I have never found a good service manual for this Saturn and pictures are worth a thousand words.

Quick Reply: 1992 SL2: still need motor mount