Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Default Need help

Hi I've replaced the spark plugs and spark wires in my Saturn SL1 because it was losing power going up hill and almost completely stopped running.

Now she runs with a lot more power. She actually shakes a bit while in idle, it seems she has way more power than before and I am not sure why she is shaking a bit now. Any answers?

My main question is when I am going up hill still, every so often I lose a bit of power and she kind of jerks a bit to grab power again, then she grabs power and is okay. So I know I am fixing the issue but there still is something wrong here. Could it be the fuel pump?

I don't have any codes as of yet just lose of power every so often going up hills but it isn't as bad as it was that is for sure!

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:46 PM

Automatic of stick? It would really help if you provided more info about your car. If it's an automatic, then perhaps your transmission is slipping and you need to change the fluid and filter. Have you ever done that and how many miles are on the car?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Automatic and 140,000 miles

Thanks I will change those things.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM

check your electronic coolant temp sensor , its a vital part of engine fuel management on these cars .
also sounds like you have a miss but if no codes then we gotta wait until it throws one .

Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM

Thank you! How do I check that sensor?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM

well common problems associated with that sensor include ,bad idle,stalling,no starts ,too much or too little fuel being delivered .
its a cheap part rather than check it i would just replace it .
i think you can check it with a ohms meter though but you gotta check it cold ,then heat it up and check it again .
also look at its connector ,sometimes when the part fails it will leak coolant into the connector wiring and foul it up .

heres some info and a location picture at the link .
good luck
http://saturnseries.net/DIY%20Guides...eries-ECTS.htm

Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Something else is that you may need to run some injector cleaner through your fuel. I've used Lucas fuel additive in other vehicles (and just started using it in the Saturn we just got) and it's a really good product.

I had a Ford Ranger 2.3L high miles that was bogging going up hills and after running the Lucas through it and a good run down the interstate to 'burn out' all the crap, not only was there more power but my mpg went up.

I'm starting it in my Saturn, only on 2nd tank right now, and not sure if my results are psychosomatic or real. Seems to be a little more power, but that may be me just wanting to feel a difference.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Thank you I will give it a go!

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

It's all in your head, Ginny. It's an SOHC so it probably just revs high faster (but still goes nowhere fast)

Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 AM

:snort: but I got up the hill and still was going 50 mph.... and I didn't gun it!

Quick Reply: Need help